• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Best Value Shoe Brand for the Money

What is the Best Value Shoe Brand for the Money

• Meermin

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 56 16.8%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 63 18.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 62 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 97 29.0%

• Total voters

TokenMao

Reaction score
As for them being $500, people keep mentioning that but their own site has them listed at 600+, and the other retailers I checked have them for about the same.

Like I said buy, from C&J's UK site (through mail order, you literally email them and they send you an invoice) and they're around $500. Or go through any of the european retailers who ship to the US like Cavour. These are prices available 24/7, 365 days a year.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we mostly agree.

That said the title question should be asked and answered objectively, at least as much as its possible.

If we are talking "subjective" value then why not just ask people what they think the best brand is. If your favorite brand is C&J then they will always bring you more personal utility than a brand and style you appreciate less.

If we are speaking Objectively then they are clearly not the best "value" brand. As you noted they are basic GYW shoes with nice leather. That said, even the company confirms that leather is a step down from the best as they have a line above their main. As for them being $500, people keep mentioning that but their own site has them listed at 600+, and the other retailers I checked have them for about the same.

For the record I agree with you on Meccariello, I don't own a pair but the pictures are just stunning. That may be the one brand that pulls me out of the 400 to 600 range :(.
That’s kind of the point though - I’m not sure it’s possible to answer the question objectively because it’s different for everyone. What I value (is important to me) dictates whether something is a good value (dollar vs what I get) and might be entirely different to what you value. That’s why I think it’s most helpful to identify the best value options at multiple levels or categories. TLB, Carmina, Vass and Crockett Jones, in my mind, all provide value in that you get a good product for what you pay for it in the 400-550 range. Then it comes down to which maker has the last that fits you or fits into your wardrobe. Which has a shoe model that fits into what you’re looking for. Which you think looks best or are drawn to. Some makers might have a derby you really like. Others might have boots you like.

If I were thinking purely of what the actual best value of what you pay vs what you get is I would honestly say it’s probably one of the makers in the 700 range but I also get the feeling what people mean when they say value is least expensive “good” shoe.

Re: CJ it’s all about where you look - Find a European retailer who isn’t CJ
(Pediwear/Noble Shoe/Cavour) and you’ll find prices in the 450-550 range for mainline.

and if you’re thinking of doing Meccariello and like how they look my advice is to just bite the bullet and put in an order on the Argentum line. There are some less out there patterns and leathers that would fit well into just about anyone’s wardrobe that you can get without having a purple oxford to try and figure out how to wear.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has CJ start to try to force universal pricing on other retailer? Especially now CJ got an online official stor themselves. Not sure how long this UK ex VAT px is going to last...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And back on topic, to me it’s always look first then “Adequate” construction (and of course the last fit you).

to me if you want a no non sense GYW shoe, CJ mainline, is it expensive? Kind off but it’s classic enough design that will last even if you change taste somewhat, though I would say CJ strong part is actually their country shoes, I actually cannot find a better replacement RTW (design/last wise) on sat Pembroke/Ashdown even if I want to upgrade construction.

though I can definitely see some pick TLB or Carmina over CJ just because it’s a sleeker dress shoe than CJ (or just has a bit more magic in the last design again all subjective)

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends heavily on the nature of value here. I take Crockett and Jones shoes to be remarkably good quality that I also happen to find deeply more appealing than Carmina, which they are priced comparably to. I'd say Crockett and Jones represent quality on tier with Edward Green for about half the price.

If your style preference favours the carmina look and you value the stylistic choices of Carmina, then I recommend you choose them over Crockett and Jones.

Meanwhile, I prefer American and English traditional styles. Crockett and Jones is closer to my aesthetic taste, and I think their construction is exceptionally good for their price.
Bruv, all love here, but C&J is not on the same tier with Edward Green, when you talk about 'half the price' I assume you are talking about the benchgrade line. They are not at the level of EG! C&J benchgrade IMO is actually very overpriced for what you get. Might as well go for Cheaney / Barker / Sanders or private lines from Herring / Pediwear if we are talking about UK shoes.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is a custom order I suppose? Aside TLB there aren’t many companies doing that for less...

for me Sons of Henry and Lof and Tung are great value for the money. I think Carmina is great but at least in the US are now charging a bit more than I think they’re worth relative to other brands.
SoH L&T Cavour etc. probably all use the same Spanish factory lol

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bruv, all love here, but C&J is not on the same tier with Edward Green, when you talk about 'half the price' I assume you are talking about the benchgrade line. They are not at the level of EG! C&J benchgrade IMO is actually very overpriced for what you get. Might as well go for Cheaney / Barker / Sanders or private lines from Herring / Pediwear if we are talking about UK shoes.

To me per spec sheet CJ mainline is definitely over priced but I think the value it bring as an overall shoe is “worth it”.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh Bodiley has some made by CJ on 341 that is slightly cheaper to start with and go on sale so that’s another one worth looking at.

Potatoe

Reaction score
and if you’re thinking of doing Meccariello and like how they look my advice is to just bite the bullet and put in an order on the Argentum line. There are some less out there patterns and leathers that would fit well into just about anyone’s wardrobe that you can get without having a purple oxford to try and figure out how to wear.

I would love to order a pair, however at some point my own pragmatism kicks in :(

I'm probably only a year and a half into this men's ware journey and I can already tell I've overspent on shoes. Especially dressy shoes.

My tastes have also changed. One of the first pairs I bought was an unlined loafer from Meermin. I hated them at first, but now I love them and wear them all the time.

I also feel like its better to start with an outfit and then add the shoes that complement it.

Starting with the $900 oxfords, then looking for the suit to wear with them feels ass backwards.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tastes have also changed. One of the first pairs I bought was an unlined loafer from Meermin. I hated them at first, but now I love them and wear them all the time.

I also feel like its better to start with an outfit and then add the shoes that complement it.

I think this is the important part. It’s about what you like and also what fits into how you’d wear it. For me - I know more casual makeups that are derby’s etc get the least wear in my closet if we are talking just shoes. I can find reason for loafers or boots with more casual outfits. I don’t wear much that calls for a country shoe or derby very often though so my rotation is Oxford heavy because my attire is suit heavy and then on the weekend it’s the complete end of the spectrum and I grab boots or sneakers more than I would grab say a country shoe.
with regards to price - I’ve never regretted spending more money on something if it fit, I liked it and I had a use for it. The purchases I’ve regretted are where I got something on sale because it was a good deal without a plan or where I looked for a cheaper alternative to what I actually wanted.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did a quick look, seems like a lot stuff on 240/72 last no experience with 72 last but would definitely pass on 240, Bodiley at least has some recent stuff like 341

edit: bodiley got some loafer on 72 as well

edit2: and I would say if you might "upgrade" in the future, then stick to country ish shoe for CJ, like Pembroker/Ashdown, doesn't matter if I have "move up", I still like those (I don't have them, looking for a hand welt version with very close aesthetic elsewhere).

bobbers

Reaction score
Oh Bodiley has some made by CJ on 341 that is slightly cheaper to start with and go on sale so that’s another one worth looking at.
In that case just buy from Shipton for their CJ made shoes. All mainline.

Another source would be to buy from Brooks Brothers for their C&J made shoes. I have a number of pairs on the 341 and 240 lasts. Occasionally they go on sale for as low as $200-$250.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another source would be to buy from Brooks Brothers for their C&J made shoes. I have a number of pairs on the 341 and 240 lasts. Occasionally they go on sale for as low as $200-$250.

you’ll be hard pressed to find these anymore as they’ve been phased out. You might Be able to find them on the secondary market but from BB directly, the pickings are slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads