• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Best Value Shoe Brand for the Money

What is the Best Value Shoe Brand for the Money

• Meermin

Votes: 43 12.8%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 57 17.0%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 63 18.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 62 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 97 28.9%

• Total voters

DrewMill

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that Carmina is on the list.

Last time I priced out a pair of oxfords from them it was almost $700cdn once I added toe taps and lasted trees.

At that price point why not just go Vass or TBL Artista, both of which seem to be offering a better product, at a similar or lower price point.
This was sort of what I was curious about. I think expensive can still be a value. But if there are better priced options, then the value falls off.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I struggle tonnes with fit, so I pick Herring. They're a company which carries many shoe brands.

They made it easy to exchange 3 sizes from overseas, on the same pair of shoes, to help me find the right fit on a pair of shoes. In contrast, I've had local shoe shops not even bother to order in a pair to see if it will fit me or not.
Herring is great!

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that Carmina is on the list.

Last time I priced out a pair of oxfords from them it was almost $700cdn once I added toe taps and lasted trees.

At that price point why not just go Vass or TBL Artista, both of which seem to be offering a better product, at a similar or lower price point.

that is a custom order I suppose? Aside TLB there aren’t many companies doing that for less...

for me Sons of Henry and Lof and Tung are great value for the money. I think Carmina is great but at least in the US are now charging a bit more than I think they’re worth relative to other brands.

Potatoe

Reaction score
that is a custom order I suppose? Aside TLB there aren’t many companies doing that for less...

for me Sons of Henry and Lof and Tung are great value for the money. I think Carmina is great but at least in the US are now charging a bit more than I think they’re worth relative to other brands.

The prices were from the Carmina Website

Shoes $504
Taps $51
Trees $118

Total is $673cdn + 5% local tax. Basically 561 USD

DrewMill

Reaction score

Shoes $504
Taps $51
Trees $118

$118 seems excessive for trees. I’ll just buy some from Woodlore. ?

Potatoe

Reaction score

Shoes $504
Taps $51
Trees $118

Potatoe

Reaction score
$118 seems excessive for trees. I’ll just buy some from Woodlore. ?

I'm assuming that they are lasted. If they are than $90 is in line with what a lot of the more expensive brands charge. Lasted tree are one of those options that you just really want to have. It's tough to take a pass even if they are over priced.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I'm assuming that they are lasted. If they are than $90 is in line with what a lot of the more expensive brands charge. Lasted tree are one of those options that you just really want to have. It's tough to take a pass even if they are over priced.
I figured they were lasted.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lasted shoe tree is absolutely not necessary for a pair of Carminas. These aren't bespoke shoes.

Potatoe

Reaction score
A lasted shoe tree is absolutely not necessary for a pair of Carminas. These aren't bespoke shoes.
We are talking about high end Mens shoes, what is actually necessary?

Lasted trees are very nice and make the whole product nicer. They slide into the shoe with a nice "thunk" and they help the shoes look better on your shelf. They also help keep the shape better.

If I'm paying $600 for shoes I'm fairly sure I'm going to pay the extra $50 buck to have a lasted tree over generic.

It's a luxery product, if we start eliminating the luxurious features that aren't necessary, we all end up buying Meermins on sale.

TokenMao

Reaction score

Lasted trees are very nice and make the whole product nicer. They slide into the shoe with a nice "thunk" and they help the shoes look better on your shelf. They also help keep the shape better.

If I'm paying $600 for shoes I'm fairly sure I'm going to pay the extra $50 buck to have a lasted tree over generic.

It's a luxery product, if we start eliminating the luxurious features that aren't necessary, we all end up buying Meermins on sale.

The only time that lasted trees make a meaningful difference is if the last is personalized to your foot (i.e. bespoke or something like StC's modified last). The goal is to have the shoe take the shape of your foot, so unless the last is the same shape as your foot, it doesn't really matter whether you have lasted trees or a decent generic because you're sticking a block of wood into the shoe that is not the same shape as your foot.

That being said it's all personal preference buy the stuff that makes you happy

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It just seems to me somewhat unnecessary for the marginal benefit of a lasted shoe tree for a pair of 600 dollar shoes. 600 is an investment, yes, but you aren't going to get that much more life out of them with a lasted shoe tree v. unlasted. When you're spending 3,000, it makes sense, but 600? Eh...seems kinda excessive.

I am not saying it is stupid, I am saying it just seems a bit much.

This might also come down to the fact that I am not that impressed with Carmina compared to their competitors. I'd rather have a pair of C&Js anyday of the week, but that's me. I think Carmina is mediocre personally.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally buy lasted trees whenever they're available. Many years ago, I noticed that my Lobbs had slightly stretched out near the topline cause I used Woodlore trees. Granted, these are shoes and not museum pieces. If I cared that much about them, I wouldn't be dragging them across the floor. But I've personally found lasted trees to be worth the expense

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally buy lasted trees whenever they're available. Many years ago, I noticed that my Lobbs had slightly stretched out near the topline cause I used Woodlore trees. Granted, these are shoes and not museum pieces. If I cared that much about them, I wouldn't be dragging them across the floor. But I've personally found lasted trees to be worth the expense

Fair point, DWW. I mean, your Lobbs are probably pretty expensive, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads