• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best tie knot?

cataan

Reaction score
My preference is half windsor. I've used the FIH for years until just recently - don't like the long, bent shape. Windsor is too bulky. Half windsor is a nice medium, symmetrical and not too big.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

\ First attempt at a trinity. I will use the knot for my lecture tomorrow. Its easy to tie, viz. double Winsor with the thin end and loop it through the last knot ... very hard to get even close to the picture above. I prefer square bow ties. Casual shirt only (High and Mighty), with RL knitted cashmere/linen top and the tie is a printed silk Monet from the Barnes Collection, Philly.
If you have any dog poop around the yard, just string it from your neck - it would achieve the same effect :confused:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But I've seen these Eldredge, Trinity and Cape Knots which are epic! Trinity
Whoa, I have not seen the Trinity before. I am intrigued.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if everyone in this thread is trolling or just :uhoh:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
;) Its a first attempt... bit like getting a thick square-end bow tie right first time (impossible).

^^ This is better ... but needs a formal shirt.
Thanks for the above diagrams ... helpful

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I actually love the look of FIH and half windsor with a wide spread or cutaway collar. Most people I know hate that look, and religiously follow the "Wide collar = Big tie knot" rule.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the Pratt any better than the Half Windsor? I've been tying the latter since I was 3 years old, and I can't think of any reason why I'd tie a Pratt instead...

And also, since when has a Half Windsor been a "big knot"? If you tie it tightly in the right place on any half-decent tie, it comes out perfectly small. I can't be arsed to work it out accurately, but I doubt it is more than 20% larger than an FIH.

In fact, in this picture, it looks smaller...

Last edited:

joshmick

Reaction score
I personally never had luck with the windsor, making it look the way I like. The pratt, on the other hand, seems to look great every time and is very very simple.

jt10000

Reaction score
I personally never had luck with the windsor, making it look the way I like. The pratt, on the other hand, seems to look great every time and is very very simple.

I can tie the FIH in my sleep because I learned it as a schoolboy.

Recently tried the Pratt knot, and I liked the result, but was almost disturbed by its simplicity.

Dapper Edition

Reaction score
I agree, the four in hand is the most stylish knot.

I really like the thin fih like Michael Douglas wore it as Gordon Gekko in this picture.

jshastings

Reaction score
;) Its a first attempt... bit like getting a thick square-end bow tie right first time (impossible).

^^ This is better ... but needs a formal shirt.
Thanks for the above diagrams ... helpful

Really not trying to be mean here, but you wore that in public?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads