• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best tie knot?

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
I merely indirectly pointed out the origin of the fashion in tie knots stems from the British monarchy (which you didn't know). This is appropriate for a thread on tie knots.

I happen to think the origin of fashion is important, I'm not alone, e.g. Alexander McQueen. This seems appropriate in context of errors.

Last edited:

cataan

Reaction score
One thing to note is that the knot will vary the length of the tie when finished. If you use the FIH but the tie extends beyond your belt because you are short, try a 1/2-W. That should make it easier to establish the correct length for the tie; if still too long try the full Windsor.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I'm sporting a FIH(which would be always), all the regular Joes ask why I don't use a full Windsor, or in some rare cases even ask If I've learned to tie a proper knot.

I have no idea why the hideous and over sized full windsor became the one and only standard. Doesn't really help that all the guys are wearing thick poly Ties, which only amplifies the size.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I'm sporting a FIH(which would be always), all the regular Joes ask why I don't use a full Windsor, or in some rare cases even ask If I've learned to tie a proper knot.

I have no idea why the hideous and over sized full windsor became the one and only standard. Doesn't really help that all the guys are wearing thick poly Ties, which only amplifies the size.
It's just because people think harder to do = better. I get comments like that too, and people also tell me that dimpling my ties is "sloppy". Plus, there is a tendency to think bigger knots look better no matter what your proportions are. It's not limited to the Windsor knot; yesterday there was a guy on the train who was wearing a HUGE four in hand and he was so thin it looked even bigger on him. The fact that the tie was a "look at me!" bright orange didn't help. And his attitude seemed to indicate that he was convinced he looked great
confused.gif

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
It's actually a myth (or an urban legend) that the Windsor knots were invented by royalty.

Said Royal did prefer a larger knot, but achieved this look by using expensive custom made ties with thicker material or more layers.

The knot was invented by people who wanted the appearance of the larger knot without the expense of a custom-made tie.

That said, in summer I have been known to deliberately wear a tie made from thinner material for comfort, and then use a larger knot to bring the appearance back to neutral. However I'd tend to use a Pratt, Nicky or Albert knot than either Windsor variant.

You should also pay attention to the styling of your shirt, especially the cut of the collar, as the framing of the knot alters the perceptual appearance of the knot itself.

Likewise, the same tie and knot on a larger gentleman will look different.

There is no "one true knot" for all occasions, and as with any sartorial choice ones tie knot should be considered as part of the overall ensemble.

That said, the four-in-hand should be considered the default knot when one has no pressing reason to use any other.

salisboss

Reaction score
I use the Pratt for weddings and interviews. FIH for other occasions. Bow ties sprinkled in.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

ahdaeeeee

Reaction score
I personally think Windsor and Pratt are the best.

Windsor

Pratt

But I've seen these Eldredge, Trinity and Cape Knots which are epic!

Eldredge

Trinity

Cape

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, where do you hang out where 'regular joes' a) know the difference between a FIH and a Windsor, and b) care enough to comment?
smile.gif

I find the Windsor neither hideous nor oversized when tied properly (a tight compact tuck of the double fold before proceeding further). I agree that it doesn't work with ties made from very thick material. The FIH, by the same token, doesn't work well in many spread collars, and never looks right in a cutaway, IMO.

Calder

Reaction score
Dude, where do you hang out where 'regular joes' a) know the difference between a FIH and a Windsor

For many of the uninformed, symmetry is the only criteria they understand.

They are wrong of course, asymmetric design has been a part of style forever, but to the uninformed that's not immediately obvious.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
It's actually a myth (or an urban legend) that the Windsor knots were invented by royalty.

Said Royal did prefer a larger knot, but achieved this look by using expensive custom made ties with thicker material or more layers.

The knot was invented by people who wanted the appearance of the larger knot without the expense of a custom-made tie.
Thanks interesting: the gist is the aristocracy and gentry historically mimicked royalty and proved enduring from Edward VII/George V. The Windsor knot was named after the House of Windsor following their change of name during WWI
------------------------------------------------
EDIT ......... This is getting boring and I regret bringing this up ... the exotic tie knots are really fun.
... more exotics ... the cross

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIH for me, sometimes the Prince Albert variation if I want a bit more heft. I prefer something not perfectly symmetrical.

For many of the uninformed, symmetry is the only criteria they understand.

They are wrong of course, asymmetric design has been a part of style forever, but to the uninformed that's not immediately obvious.

+1. I hope these same "regular joes" don't expect your suit to have a breast pocket outside each lapel. :)

Dude, where do you hang out where 'regular joes' a) know the difference between a FIH and a Windsor, and b) care enough to comment? :)

I find the Windsor neither hideous nor oversized when tied properly (a tight compact tuck of the double fold before proceeding further).  I agree that it doesn't work with ties made from very thick material.  The FIH, by the same token, doesn't work well in many spread collars, and never looks right in a cutaway, IMO.

I find that the Prince Albert variation of the FIH works pretty well in these situations as it adds a bit of extra heft to the knot to counterbalance the wider spread of the color. YMMV.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
\
First attempt at a trinity. I will use the knot for my lecture tomorrow. Its easy to tie, viz. double Winsor with the thin end and loop it through the last knot ... very hard to get even close to the picture above (purple silk tie). I prefer square-end bow ties.

Casual shirt only (High and Mighty), with RL Polo knitted cashmere/linen top and the tie is a printed silk Monet from the Barnes Collection, Philly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads