• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is the best suit for your money?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a 46 regular, so not as my bother says slender, but more your "beached whale" (his words not mine). thanks.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's within the standard size spectrum, so you should have no trouble finding any of the suit brands discussed in the archives. In fact, since you're not at the average size range of 38-42, you should have an easier time finding them at discount than some of us.
confused.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best suit for your money, size 46regular? depending on your waist size, if this suit would fit you i'd buy it in a heartbeat. I bought one just like it recently, and can't wait to have functional sleeve buttons added.

It has everything-- slimming, dark grey color, well made with handstitched buttonholes, a nice shape in the shoulders and waist, double vents instead of single, etc. oxxford is one of the finest suits/ sportcoats/ trousers you can buy, and you don't have to be a male model to look sharp in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-100-NWT-Oxxfor...QQcmdZViewItem

if you have a nice pair of black trousers (other colors will work, too, like slate blue) and you're looking for a great sportcoat, i don't think you can do better than this-- especially for the price, this is one of the nicest sportcoats i've seen in a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-500-NWT-Brioni...QQcmdZViewItem

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
i'm a 46 regular, so not as my bother says slender, but more your "beached whale" (his words not mine). thanks.

Well, if you want to drive to Toronto you can go to a MTM tailor/workshop that I use. You can get really good valued canvas suits made and adjusted for your beached whale body type. Let me know and I will tell you where they are located.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
The best suit for the money can only be spoken to when there is a basic budget pegged to the money part of the question.

There is a best suit for the dollar at 1200,
which is not the same best suit for the dollar at 3k so to speak.

What ball park do you wish to stay within?

cglex

Reaction score
The best suit for the money is BB's Golden Fleece at morning after XMAS pricing of $848. Brand new, tailored, etc., so very hard to beat in terms of value for the dollar. I am a 44R these days and I don't look beached in the GF. I suspect custom tailoring will help those who are beyond just beached and are more beached whale.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a 38 waist, so the pants are to big, but thank you.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
best suit for your money, size 46regular? depending on your waist size, if this suit would fit you i'd buy it in a heartbeat. I bought one just like it recently, and can't wait to have functional sleeve buttons added.

It has everything-- slimming, dark grey color, well made with handstitched buttonholes, a nice shape in the shoulders and waist, double vents instead of single, etc. oxxford is one of the finest suits/ sportcoats/ trousers you can buy, and you don't have to be a male model to look sharp in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-100-NWT-Oxxfor...QQcmdZViewItem

if you have a nice pair of black trousers (other colors will work, too, like slate blue) and you're looking for a great sportcoat, i don't think you can do better than this-- especially for the price, this is one of the nicest sportcoats i've seen in a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-500-NWT-Brioni...QQcmdZViewItem

i'm a 38 waist so the pants would be a little big. but thank you.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
The best suit for the money can only be spoken to when there is a basic budget pegged to the money part of the question.

There is a best suit for the dollar at 1200,
which is not the same best suit for the dollar at 3k so to speak.

What ball park do you wish to stay within?

more so in the $1200 range. thanks

gefinzi

Reaction score
I like Samuelsohn's MTM program a lot and think they offer great value for money. However, they raised their prices recently and so the better fabrics will probably come in a little over $1200.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
DrCool1978,

Given the parameters of the request,
cost, your location and size, the three quick choices are MTM from

Coppley
Jack Victor
Samuelsohn

Of the three, I would wait and get the few extra dollars together that you may need to get a Samuelsohn.

I do not know the retailers in your neck of the woods,
PM EL72, he and the TO crowd will have a better idea.
I would not hit Harry Rosen for this one.
Here in Montreal, Henry Marks is a few hundred less the HR on a Sammy, I would guess the same is true in Toronto.

Samuelsohn has over a dozen different suit bodies, be sure to try as many as possible before deciding which suit body your MTM will be based on!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads