• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the average you spend on a suit?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ True, true.
smile.gif

Seriously, I'm not going to give dollar amounts. Sometimes I buy outlet, sometimes I buy sales, sometimes I buy eBay, sometimes I buy MTM, sometimes I buy bespoke. So it varies. I prefer to look for fun, interesting items rather than sticking to a precise figure. If I feel I'm splurging too much in one month, I'll cut back the next. It sort of works out.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on what I'm looking at.
I'll pay more if I can try it on, and then that depends on the customization needed for a good fit.
If I'm not able to try it on (ebay), then the amount I'm willing to risk drops from there depending on make and style and seller's reputation.
That amount also depends on circumstances - "how much to I have to spend?", as well as - "when will I wear this?", and "am I anticipating an upcoming need for this garment?"
In other words, I'm flexible, but want to buy (and pay) as little as possible.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Wait for sales and pay as little as possible.

Yes !!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the OP's question: average is $500 for me, with a std deviation of +/- $200

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OTR, no more than $1000 and it will be on sale. Bespoke, well that's just a whole different story.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About $30
smile.gif

Tailoring is sometimes rather more, of course. But sometimes not.

The closet holds higher end Zegna, Chester Barrie, CB for RLPL, and some vintage NY and London bespoke.

If I needed to wear a suit or even a sportcoat for business, I would go about this much more seriously and perhaps may a lot more.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recently purchased my first post-SF suits from STP. $670 for an Isaia and $540 for a Belvest. i don't see myself spending more than that unless i decide to go bespoke.

-Jeff

wq1999

Reaction score
Average is $700-800. Range is between $400 and $1000.

Carey

Reaction score
MTM: $1,200 for a Samuelsohn suit, and $1,000 for a Samuelsohn blazer
RTW Suit: $600 on sale for a Samuelsohn or Hickey-Freeman.
RTW Blazer: $795 - wife bought me a beautiful Samuelsohn for Christmas four years ago.

Three years ago I found a H-F at Symm's for under $300. It cost me $100 to have it altered which included resetting a sleeve-head. I think those days of the $300 fully-canvassed suit are gone; at least here in the southeast.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EUR 1300-1500 (that is, USD1700-2000, aprox.). That is what my tailor at El Corte InglÃ
00a9.png
s
charges me for what is alleged to be "bespoke". (I do not know if he is worth the money, I guess I should post some photos and ask for opinions and advice). That is also what I recently paid for a Zegna MTM odd jacket+trousers (choosing a "cashco" cloth, which is not one of the high end Zegna cloths).
True, my intention is to by not more than two suits per year, that is, one per season. This is due to the combined effect of a limited clothing budget and a small flat (and also with a bit of an "anti-conspicuous consumption" attitude that I acquired when I was young and poor and a bit on the hippy side...).
The nice thing about only buying one suit per season is the emotion you get out of carefully considering different options and finally going for the one you really like. (My problem this autumn was that there were two options that I really liked; I am thinking about making an exception and allowing myself two sets this season).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads