What is the average you spend on a suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ReL, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

The last suit I bought, had a price tag of 2,750$. I bought it, sixty percent off.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

average $500, deveating from $300 to $800, depending on fabric. bespoke, with vest and spare pants, the higher end indicates significantly better fabric.

3. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

Lately $1,000 ($2,000+ retail, on sale)

I used to buy $1,000 suits for $500 but this forum ruined that...

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Varies but (I'm ashamed to admit) often $2-3K, sometimes more for something special.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Varies but (I'm ashamed to admit) often $2-3K, sometimes more for something special.

Nothing to be ashamed, of.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

all my suit purchases have been anywhere from $300-500.....once I spent $1000 but I wouldnt spend that much now for RTW.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Wait for sales and pay as little as possible.

The question is how much do you spend on average. I thought you were a statistician.

Anyway, I am probably in line with gdl: avg. of $500 [+/- $200] e.g. recently bought a beautiful DB Corneliani for $300.

8. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Average for RTW + tailoring is probably a little north of $1000, but not much so. Price range (RTW and MTM) is between $7 or 8 and $5k.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

$700ish MTM after taxes.
    $500 for RTW, my sample size is quite small.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

All of my recent suits have been from WW Chan, so I'm paying just south of $1,000 on average for a two-piece suit.

Any suits I get in the foreseeable future will likewise be from Chan. I think for any kind of reasonably decent fabric, the price has already gone somewhat north of the $1K mark.

11. Jared

Jared Senior member

Not to hijack, but what if you had to advise a sartorially-challenge friend what they should be spending at retail? Can you make it a neat equation based on income bracket (with adjustments for region, etc.)? I'm always struck by the masterstroke of marketing that an engagement ring should cost two months salary...

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Not to hijack, but what if you had to advise a sartorially-challenge friend what they should be spending at retail? Can you make it a neat equation based on income bracket (with adjustments for region, etc.)? I'm always struck by the masterstroke of marketing that an engagement ring should cost two months salary...

The general rule is to spend the most you can afford. This obviously depends on how many suits a person needs, in addition to their income. Someone needing only one or two suits can afford to pay more than someone who needs to wear one daily. Unless they are just out of school, people that need to wear suits daily usually make sufficient money to afford decent quality, not necessarily high end or bespoke but at least $500/suit. That said, at full retail $500 doesn't get you that much but for people shopping sales/outlets/online... you can do well for $500 OTR.

13. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I've never spent over $250 on a suit because I don't wear them often enough to justify a higher price.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Average probably around 1.5K with the range from 1K to 3+K.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Spend as much you want or can ,as long as you enjoy wearing the suit...
    I will say on average £500 pounds if the suit is on sales but once again ,the real issue is to enjoy what you're wearing....
    It is important to buy quality because on the long term you will save money...
    On the subject of money,We are entering the sphere of the emotional....Some of us will spend a thousand on a pair of John Lobb or a Gucci suit ,others will find that morally corrupt or plainy stupid!!!!!!
    I work with a colleague who is always laughing at my enormous clothes spending budget but he admitted that after discussion ,he was spending the same or more on his car ,trips to the local pub ,holidays , golf course addiction and cigarettes...
    The only advice i will give you: Buy a suit you're proud of because the boost to your self-esteem can bring some very positive effects on your all persona...