• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the assumed dress code?

stormin10

Reaction score
I am going to a Bell and Ross viewing party that is being hosted by a local AD next week. I have been to events similar to this one before, however I went to those events with family members who would generally know the dress code and pass that information along to me ahead of time. However, I have been invited to this event personally and I dont believe they even have knowledge it is taking place.

It is being held at the " air and space museum" which makes me think it would be more formal however the brand itself is not know for being really uptight. I would assume over dress than under dress, however I don't want to show up in a coat and tie and look overly formal, but at the same time i do not want to under dress and not look fitting for the occasion.

Also, what would you say for my date?

Any help would be much appreciated.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
jacket and tie. this IS styleforum.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score

jacket and tie. this IS styleforum.

20kzz9y.jpg

:)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lighten up girls. He would look good in dark jeans, leather shoes, button up shirt and blazer. You wouldn't look like a twat in a suit either.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Going to go with Joffrey here, Bell and Ross is an 'upscale' casual watch brand, therefore he'd probably fit in well enough in 'smart' casual clothes. No need for a suit and tie, the watches themselves do mesh with that kind of dress.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree...either/or would work. Suit or sports coat and slacks/jeans. can't go wrong.
And, do you really need to tell the date how to dress?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Lighten up girls. He would look good in dark jeans, leather shoes, button up shirt and blazer. You wouldn't look like a twat in a suit either.

I'm sure most douches are in jeans and some sort of ill fitting jacket if not an oversized plaid or striped shirt- the stereotypical b&r wearer.

stormin10

Reaction score

Agree...either/or would work. Suit or sports coat and slacks/jeans. can't go wrong.

She just was not sure if a cocktail dress would be appropriate or if she would be fine a little bit more casual.

stormin10

Reaction score

She just wasnt sure what to wear

Going to go with Joffrey here, Bell and Ross is an 'upscale' casual watch brand, therefore he'd probably fit in well enough in 'smart' casual clothes. No need for a suit and tie, the watches themselves do mesh with that kind of dress.

My point entirely because B&R seems like a brand that is more as you put it "upscale casual" and so I was not sure if that type of dress would work or if I needed coat and tie. I mean when the man invited me he directly said he was trying to bring some of the "young crowd" out for the event.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go more casual. When it comes down to it the beauty of upmarket fashion brands is that if you look good, you can wear anything.

If you can afford it, you have no reason to show off or live up to their expectations.

When I ran an Art gallery my best clients were always happy to turn up in jeans and a SC. The ones in a tie were usually those least likely to buy.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
ive been to numerous events put on by ADs. Go with nice dark lim denim, white shirt, blazer, no tie. Thats what i typically wear and ive never been thrown out. :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads