1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the appeal of expensive denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by alt solution, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Epik

Epik Well-Known Member

I got an expensive pair of rag & bones and was less than impressed.

Tried a far less expensive pair of APCs and it happened to suit me much better and now I'm a convert. I've been breaking them in and I don't wear any other jeans anymore. They get more comfortable each day and now I don't even look at other pants while walking through malls because I'm wearing the best I'll ever find as far as I'm concerned. It's quite a nice feeling.

2. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

I got an expensive pair of rag & bones and was less than impressed.

Tried a far less expensive pair of APCs and it happened to suit me much better and now I'm a convert. I've been breaking them in and I don't wear any other jeans anymore. They get more comfortable each day and now I don't even look at other pants while walking through malls because I'm wearing the best I'll ever find as far as I'm concerned. It's quite a nice feeling.

Quality of Rag and Bone denim has gone down ever since they stopped using cone mills denim.

3. keredog

keredog Senior member

Christ, it's like everyone's in denial.

The objective benefits from wearing expensive/raw denim are basically the quality and fit. But I can't say how much more superior the quality is, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in without being vague.

The subjective factors are obviously the personal fading that develop over time and the.... I really can't think of anything else.

Ultimately, if you think the same fit is unobtainable with regular denim, then you're getting your money's worth I suppose. But personally I've seen great fits from cheaper brands, in which case, you're paying a crap load of money for the fades. Just trying to be realistic here, would like different opinions on the matter though.

4. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Mmm, I think it's good to consider it a little bit outside of forum group-think though.

For me personally I don't care that much about the fades, it will come with time.
    Other than a contest situation of course :p
    The fit is subjective, and not really an indication of quality.

In terms of quality, there are a lot of things we might look into.
    The fabric used. The dye used. How the pieces of denim are stitched together. The hardware. The reinforcements where necessary. The quality of the threads. The leather patch. Weave of the pocket cloth. Etc.
    Plenty of resources on the internet for this type of stuff.

I think there are many differences to appreciate apart from "fading".
    Consider the hand/texture of the denim. How the indigo varies in different lighting conditions. Etc.

There's no one single factor, and what is "high-end" or desirable is also quite different amongst different groups of denim-heads.
    I think OP just needs to handle and wear-in a few different jeans, and discover what it is about "high-end denim" that he fancies, if anything at all - it's a hobby, and not everyone will appreciate it.

Kop a pair of Studio D'Artisan 103 jeans, walk around in it for a year.
    If you can appreciate the differences, then you'd have answered your own question.
    If you don't care for it, then stick with whatever you feel comfortable wearing.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Until Levis makes a 511 or 510 STF there will always be a purpose for "expensive" denim

6. mike868y

mike868y Senior member