1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the appeal of expensive denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by alt solution, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Lane

Lane Senior member

who gives a fuck about selvedge or domestic made denimz

2. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

The most obvious thing is that expensive denim looks MUCH better. If you're hanging around in department stores you won't be seeing anyone with nice denim. Go to upscale shops and you'll see the difference. Maybe it's your thing, maybe it isn't, but there's an aesthetic to expensive denim that Wrangler and co. can't touch. It pains me even to write Wrangler.

You gotta be kidding.
    Wrangler's got many things that most modern jeans-merchants can't touch - more reading, less hyping!

3. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

And when you get older and decide to say hello to a few thoughts that don't include yourself in a mirror you may realize that denim at any price is for pimps, plummers and sheep.

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i still don't see the point in spending 300+ when i get exactly what i want for 200 or less. i guess it's all relative to those that bring in more dollars than i do...

exactly ... you can always find something that gets the job done for cheaper. but if you can go for the better product, why not?

goes with everything from food, clothing, cars, housing, electronics ... yo uname it

5. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

On one hand you have the school who just wants jeans in somewhat nicer fabric and cut. On the other you have the guys who want their jeans to look like they came out of the 1890s.

6. Another level

Another level Member

To the thread starter: if you cannot tell the difference between poor and good quality denim then I suggest you stick to what you know. Otherwise you'll just end up thinking you've overpaid unnecessarily. Ignorance in this instance can be sheer bliss. This may be the best option for you as it could take you many years, if not at all, to gain the same knowledge as people here.

Jeans with a higher price tag does not necessarily mean it's better quality either. Similarly, jeans priced cheaply does not always mean good value. Expensive and value are all, of course, subjective words.

Forum residents here tend to understand the true value of jeans rather than on price and pay accordingly. Even if it cost them their entire week's wage! I know for a fact that I wouldn't buy the sort of jeans you would as I believe I'm chucking my money away as it does not fit my requirements.

Here's a useful quote I picked up a few years ago: a fool knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Anotherlevel

7. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

And when you get older and decide to say hello to a few thoughts that don't include yourself in a mirror you may realize that denim at any price is for pimps, plummers and sheep.

Are you saying people should wear their good denim or beater denim when smacking their bitches and harvesting plums?

8. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

I'd have thought when we get older we'd realize it's not the pants that matter but the man who's wearing the pants? [​IMG]

Horses for courses when it comes to clothing preferences mate, no need to pick on denim-heads.

9. madstaxbro

madstaxbro Senior member

Since when do pimps wear denim.

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

you are not going to find some amazing denim, for example on a 19 oz Samurai 710, on any other jeans period.

So I hear! People are raving about Japanese raw denim...

11. alt solution

alt solution Member

To the thread starter: if you cannot tell the difference between poor and good quality denim then I suggest you stick to what you know. Otherwise you'll just end up thinking you've overpaid unnecessarily. Ignorance in this instance can be sheer bliss. This may be the best option for you as it could take you many years, if not at all, to gain the same knowledge as people here.

Anotherlevel

Ok but what knowledge exactly? Being able to visually see the difference? I can see the difference between APC's and wranglers, but take some selvage jeans and compare it to some of levi's rigid jeans, there's very little difference. If you looked at it from a few yards away, they could easily look exactly the same.

Honestly, it makes no sense that it would take years to gain knowledge about denim. Am I the only one who sees that?? It's not rocket science. Some of the enlightened people should be able to tell me, but so far I haven't really seen anything that tells me that the expensive denim is SO MUCH better than the lower range denim such as levi's, which btw can last a very long time. A picture comparison with notes on the differences would be nice.

12. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Ok but what knowledge exactly? Being able to visually see the difference? I can see the difference between APC's and wranglers, but take some selvage jeans and compare it to some of levi's rigid jeans, there's very little difference. If you looked at it from a few yards away, they could easily look exactly the same. Honestly, it makes no sense that it would take years to gain knowledge about denim. Am I the only one who sees that?? It's not rocket science. Some of the enlightened people should be able to tell me, but so far I haven't really seen anything that tells me that the expensive denim is SO MUCH better than the lower range denim such as levi's, which btw can last a very long time. A picture comparison with notes on the differences would be nice.
    ??? Before you learn something new you must try and drop your preconceived ideas. You're approaching the hobby with a very closed mind-framed, and thus you won't get much out of it. It takes a few good weeks to learn about the basics of denim and the different brands/makes/construction, and many years to experience and handle different types. It's not all about the appearance from 5 metres away either - everything from the hand of the fabric to how the dye glistens in the sunlight requires examination. It's also about finding your personal preference in everything from how the inseam is constructed to how the fabric and dye will age with wear. But of course to an uninterested or inexperienced person, a pair of G-stars could very well be mistaken for a pair of Sugar Canes - and it's because a lot of this hobby is about the details. No one on the internet can really give you a tute about all this, just go out, kop a pair of higher-end Cone or Nihon Menpu denim, and find out. There are also plenty of information in the various denim forums and denim blogs - don't be lazy, get reading! If some time down the track you still cannot figure out why you're paying the premium, perhaps this hobby isn't for you...but I'm sure you'll gain some understanding of a denim-nerds mind-set from the experience. Btw, don't bag out Wranglers. The old Wrangler's Japan Blue Bells and the current McCoy makes will knock APC unconscious.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Go handle/try on some good denim, compare them to Levi's, and then make your argument.

Until you do that you won't understand the difference. It's all about the details, not what you can see from a meter away.

P.S. It takes a year+ to really know quality denim because you need to wear a couple pairs for a while to really "get" how different jeans react to your lifestyle.

14. JChance

JChance Senior member

A pair of Levi's Capital E will speak for itself after being tried on. 'Nuff said.

15. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

A lot of it isn't noticeable when the jeans are new, but I can assure you that a well worn, several times washed pair of 5ep's is striking in sunlight. No A.P.C. or other mid level denim, let alone sub $100 denim will ever have the complexity of color or hue. Then there's the hardware on upper level denim...

16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I think the appeal of expensive denim is different from other expensive clothing.

The fading and wear that people like to achieve with denim give it the unique appeal of being something closer to a hobby or project. Most clothing simply doesn't have that appeal.

17. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

I like how my jeans have conformed to fit my legs exactly....and they are just so comfortable to wear.

18. JChance

JChance Senior member

I have heard of straight up taking a hot shower in your new pair of jeans helps fitting your legs perfectly to the shrinking of the jeans [​IMG]

I like how my jeans have conformed to fit my legs exactly....and they are just so comfortable to wear.

19. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

One of my buddies on superdenim told me that he unwittingly summoned a dragon while wearing a pair of Limited Edition Iron Hearts.

20. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ I summoned a panda whilst wearing my limited edition Roy's [​IMG]