• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the appeal of expensive denim?

alt solution

Reaction score
Hey, new here.

Now I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff. I buy mostly stuff from department stores on sale for less than $40 (around 60 when not on sale).

I noticed a lot of people like to get expensive denim, especially selvage. I was just wondering, what is the appeal? I'm not at all saying there shouldn't be one. I'm just asking what the appeal is because I don't know. Like I said, I'm a newb.

I know it is usually heavier and probably lasts longer, but I don't really see any other differences. Lower costing jeans can come in a huge variety of fits and washes.

So, please enlighten this humble newb.

alt solution

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwoyeu
two very useful threads for ya...
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=149736
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=50925

Thanks! I went through those, but all I really saw is that the more expensive denim is "better" or "superior", but I still don't know why. The first thread had a lot of people dissing the gap jeans, but why? Is there a difference in appearance? I mean I can look at them and answer my own question with a "no". I am definitely missing something, but what?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superior construction. More hand work. More labor intensive. Use of long staple cotton instead of the cheap cotton. Single needle stitching instead of double needle stitching. The indigo used. The dying process. Hand dying. Selvage. Thread used to sew.

Finally, things like cut of the pants. Time spent recreating historical patterns. And finally, any distressing that is put in by the factory. Accurate distressing is much more expensive than the cheap **** by 7's.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality of the materials used.

The quality of the construction.

The fit and cut of the jeans.

Buying a pair of raw denim and then creating the wash yourself buy wearing it through the years until it becomes your favorite pair of jeans that is molded to your body.

edit: heavier does not mean better.

kit99bar

Reaction score
nicely put, but you forgot my favorite reason: the DENIM!
you are not going to find some amazing denim, for example on a 19 oz Samurai 710, on any other jeans period.

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Superior construction. More hand work. More labor intensive. Use of long staple cotton instead of the cheap cotton. Single needle stitching instead of double needle stitching. The indigo used. The dying process. Hand dying. Selvage. Thread used to sew.

Finally, things like cut of the pants. Time spent recreating historical patterns. And finally, any distressing that is put in by the factory. Accurate distressing is much more expensive than the cheap **** by 7's.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most obvious thing is that expensive denim looks MUCH better. If you're hanging around in department stores you won't be seeing anyone with nice denim. Go to upscale shops and you'll see the difference. Maybe it's your thing, maybe it isn't, but there's an aesthetic to expensive denim that Wrangler and co. can't touch. It pains me even to write Wrangler.

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
Honestly, everyone can list all the reasons, but you just need to go try on a pair at Barneys or someplace similar.

I was in the same boat about a year ago, thought spending over $100 on jeans was ridiculous. Now, I live in my APCs and my Shipleys and plan to grab a pair of Dsquared2s and Dior Homme soon.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deleted... sorry

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy expensive denim for fit, everything else is a plus.

ramp

Reaction score
I buy it so people on the internet will +rep me.

thatguymj

Reaction score
The fit and qaulity of the demin is what does it for me. I used to try to get away with buying mid range demin like diesel, agave, etc but it never fit quite right. Now I love N&F, APC, and RRL. All have make great jeans that fit well and I love the raw slevedge jeans that form to your body and look great in various stages of wear. It will honestly probably taking buying a pair and seeing for yourself what makes them more expensive. I assure you it will be difficult to ever regress back to less expensive, poorly made demin.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramp
I buy it so people on the internet will +rep me.
No reps here OP if u wanna keep wearing mall **** go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads