1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the ‘Standard’ height

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Jan 25, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

With all this talk of 36 / 38 Short, what is the Standard height manufactures use when determining what the length of a Short jacket is?

Jon.

2. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Not sure what the "standard" is, or if there is one--is there a standard for R?-- but my ideal as a 38S is about 29.5" from the bottom of the collar down. I have seen a range for the most part of about 29-30" with jackets designated as 36-38S.

3. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread a little. Perhaps we could steer this conversation to "standard" lengths in general. My lanky frame has always needed a long...

A.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

standard lengths vary from suit to suit and also go up and down with the times. i think a standard regular is about 31"-31.5" right now, whereas in the '40s it may have been 30".

generally i see a difference of 1" between sizes of the same suit. so if you find a particular suit that's a 32" as a regular, they'll make it 33" as a long.

it's best to try the thing on, and not just look at the tag. also remember that even though you may prefer a certain length, suits are cut with a certain silhouette in mind. so your preferred length may not be what's best for that specific suit.

5. bch

bch Senior Member

Regulars seem to range from 31" to (more often) 32" measured from the collar seam. I'm 5'8" so shorts are usually a tad too short, and regulars are often a tad too long or otherwise don't look right in way I can't put my finger on. My MTM jackets are exactly 30" which covers my butt and no more, and lines up with my thumb knuckle. More than anything, it has been the jacket length on RTW suits that pushed me to MTM.

6. imageWIS

Is it me, or are the Neapolitan-made (Borrelli / Attolini) jackets cut shorter than "˜standard' 38 / 38 R "˜s? I have seen them range from 30.25" to 31".

Jon.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Not you. All the Neapolitans make a shorter-than-average coat.

8. imageWIS

(imageWIS @ Jan. 26 2005,11:00) Is it me, or are the Neapolitan-made (Borrelli / Attolini) jackets cut shorter than "˜standard' 38 / 38 R "˜s? I have seen them range from 30.25" to 31".
    Not you. All the Neapolitans make a shorter-than-average coat.
    Well, at least that's good news. Unfortunately though, they are also the most expensive of the bunch, albeit the best made...I guess you get what you pay for. Jon.

9. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

I've had a similar experience to BCH.

10. imageWIS

I find that I am almost in the same boat when it comes to Neapolitan-made jackets, which tend to be cut shorter than thus manufactured by other brands, thus I simply tend to have my tailor remove ¼" - ½" from the bottom for the proper length. Alas, this only really works on jackets where the pockets are located slightly above the 3rd button (in a 3-button SB jacket), thus the balance of the jacket is not lost.

Jon.