• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is swagger? discuss

u007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
No, because you don't know wtf you're talking about. Lurk more.
Oh please enlighten me great one! You don't need to have been a member for a long time to know that a big thread means an item is popular. Lots of people wearing it, lolts of people looking stupid wearing it. Thus, they do not have the "swag". And to be honest, I registered here to ask one or two specific questions which I've already done. And now I've seen the WAYWT threads (and lol'd at feeble-looking guys with no "swag") I'm not sure I want to lurk in case I end up like that
laugh.gif

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve_McQueen_by_William_Claxton_4.jpg

10042104.jpg

steve%20mcqueen.jpg

steve_mcqueen-1.jpg

steve_mcqueen_two_new_films.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by u007
Oh please enlighten me great one!

You don't need to have been a member for a long time to know that a big thread means an item is popular. Lots of people wearing it, lolts of people looking stupid wearing it. Thus, they do not have the "swag".

And to be honest, I registered here to ask one or two specific questions which I've already done. And now I've seen the WAYWT threads (and lol'd at feeble-looking guys with no "swag") I'm not sure I want to lurk in case I end up like that
laugh.gif

You should post a pic then!
laugh.gif

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Wait, swagger? I thought we were still using steeze
cry.gif
How old to I have to be to start untying my shoes to have spezzatatataura?

lulz. That was funny.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
as for the MLyngard post about "swagger" crossing cultural borders, I'm not sure Roman patricians or Maori warriors would find Bruce Lee to have swagger. "Cool" isn't some concept that transcends cultures, it is, in fact, a very western and recent concept. You can say some mythical versions of cool have wide cultural reach as they're archetypes but that's about it. Remember that Jazz musicians were mostly considered druggie trash by most people, that hip/square list that is pretty much the foundation of what cool means was done by a member of the COUNTER culture before it was digested by mainstream culture. note: was it Kerouac who did that hip/square thing? I forget, him or another beat anyway.
Very true. Point well made. By 'cross-cultural' I mean between cultures that share enough in common to recognize it. Same eras, shared cultural exposure (like us and Japan) But you have to admit that, on a certain level, the idea of Swagger falls into the same realm of appreciation as the elusive timeless ideal portrayed in this Roman sculpture:
Boxer.jpg
I mean, it was the Jazz/Beat scene that created 'The Birth Of Cool', but 'coolness' had/has other names in other cultures. And I think that factor is recognizable and has nothing to do with garments, or time or looks. It's rooted in unselfconscious confidence, a bit of subversiveness and disdain for being anything expected by popular culture.
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Yeah, very appropriate, Liam's definitely got swagger...
Debatable on Liam. His swagger factor went waaay down for me when that's basically all he did in the 'Bittersweet' video. It was cool the first time or two, but it's not all about walking nowhere and bumping into people. Still an awesome video though - he was trying to capture that lone-wolf, melancholy world-weariness which is so trite when affected yet so ******* potent when it's real. (chick at 2:37 is hawt)

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Steve_McQueen_by_William_Claxton_4.jpg

Yep. Got it.
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Bowie wins every thread. Unless the universe conspires to pit him against Mercury. What would happen then is anyone's guess.
crazy.gif

The awesome thing about Bowie is that he built his total career around toying with and experimenting with the very ideal of swagger. That can backfire fast and only a few, like him and Warhol, can do something ironic in such a consciously parodying, self-mocking way and still mean it and be cool. The ultimate post-modernists.
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Ugh.
5mx1tv.gif

Uncontrol should avoid facial hair.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't look at this thread for a while and ...

wow wtf 11 pages really

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i feel like roman patricians and maori warriors would feel that bruce lee has swagger if they understood or saw a little a bit of our culture today. they might not personally wish to be like bruce lee, but it'd be hard to say they would not see bruce lee as having swagger.

i think yohji has swagger, but that's not the kind of look that i think i can or should pull off right now

**** but yohji has so much swagger

y3autumnwinter200910sho.jpg

when i'm 60 i want to look like yohji

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regarding "owning" your look, this is one of my favorite pics
yohjiyamamoto.jpg

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
But you have to admit that, on a certain level, the idea of Swagger falls into the same realm of appreciation as the elusive timeless ideal portrayed in this Roman sculpture:
Boxer.jpg

Ugh. The Seated Boxer is a Greek sculpture, from the Helenistic (latter) period of Greek art. It's not Roman; Roman sculpture is generally quite the opposite, depicting idealized and emotionless figures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads