• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.10.2013

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Reedobandito

Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Hold up, we got a badass over here

Editor’s note: Reedobandito chose to ignore my request and instead supplied the bizarre and somewhat disturbing fantasy you see below; I have therefore taken it upon myself to answer the interview portion of this column in his stead.

I was a mere lad of 17 when killed my first man, plunged the cold steel of my blade between the muscle and bone and sinew of my unfortunate rival. The year was 1944, and we had found ourselves face to face in a shell-hole in some godforsaken land, and all we knew was one of us wasn't ever gonna leave that goddamned shell-hole.

I knew nothing would ever be the same after that. As I constant reminder of the horrors of war at the atrocities committed by my own hands, I vowed to commemorate the untimely death of my young rival by wearing the same exact clothing I had on that very day, until my own death absolved me of my guilt. It's been nearly 70 years, and not a day has passed that I have not donned the same waxy black vest, the same heavy and mudded boots, the same MA-1 still stained in the blood of my enemy.

The Goods:

Vest: Nom de Guerre
Bomber: Robert Geller
Jeans: Uniqlo
Boots: MOMA

Grizzled mercenary? Cocky recruit who has now seen too much? Is that the kind of thing you think about when you get dressed?

The truth is that I’m just better than you. You should be able to tell simply by looking at me. I have excellent taste in clothing, music, art, and even furniture. I am very handsome, too – did you know that? No, I barely spend any time on my hair. It’s just like that. Oh, and did I mention that I write poetry? Paper is white, text is black. I mirror that simple beauty in my sartorial choices. Why would I branch out? Please. You should see the gem-inlaid globe I have in my penthouse suite. I have placed small diamonds on every country I have visited. Yes, that’s right – diamonds. I wouldn’t expect someone like you to understand my art.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Eug92

Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Trouble. Cozy Trouble.

“Get down from there!”

Your friend grins back at you, already halfway up the side of the pyramid.

“It’s OK,” he says, “I’m a professional.”

“Yeah, professional idiot. Get down!”

“Why did they build walls like this if they didn’t want people to climb them?”

“Because they were **** builders and they only had stones. We have to let someone know about this
place. It’s not on any of the maps.”

“Yep,” he says, starting to climb again, “we’re explorers.”

“We’re not explorers,” you say, “we’re lost.”

You press your head with your hands, and then look nervously over your shoulders. There’s a reason your friend is barred from ever entering Egypt again, and it looks like he’s on track for Mexico as well. You’re about to shout at him when you hear a muffled yelp. You look up, and he’s disappeared. ****. Did he fall? You can’t see him anywhere. You look around frantically, skin prickling with nervous sweat. And then you notice the black spot that has appeared in the wall of the pyramid. An entrance.

The Goods:

Jacket: TOJ
Scarf: Stephan Schneider
Shirt: Bassike
Jeans, Shoes: Acne

We've seen a number of double rider-focused outfits since fall began. Do you find it at all difficult to put your own spin on such an iconic piece?

Yes and no. On Styleforum you see a lot of really great rider fits and it's easy to get into the mindset that what you wear has got to be in some way different from the other guys you're seeing, so you don't feel like a style robot. But it's also easy to forget that outside of the forum there aren't actually that many people who wear leather jackets (I've never seen another toj and schott doesn't really have presence in Australia), and following from what Huhwot said last week a double rider really does look best in a pared-down outfit.

I find myself wearing it with what's most comfortable, like the schneider scarf which, like all things schneider, is super soft and luxurious. Coming into a really hot summer so this is probably the last I'll see of it anyway, singlet and thongs season feels about a fortnight off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Thies

Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: How you wish your professors dressed

“I don’t think I can do this,” you say, looking at the iguana. It’s wearing a harness, as though it’s a pet cat, and is pointedly ignoring you.

“Come on,” says your friend, holding the leash. “it’s just for a weekend.”

“Remember what happened last time I said yes?”

“Fluke,” he says. “I’ve never heard of a man-eating anole before.”

“So you say. But there was the snake, too.”

“OK,” he says, “I’ll give you that one. The snake was an asshole. Bertram’s a sweetheart.”

“You named your iguana...Bertram?”

“He looks like a Bertram, doesn’t he?” The lizard stares at you haughtily, its wide mouth turned down in a frown.

“If you say so. Well, at least it’s not already trying to kill me.”

“So you’ll do it? Please?”

“Fine, you say, “Fine. But listen, if it comes after me, I’m going to kill it with a fire axe.”

“It’s not going to go after you,” says your friend, rolling his eyes and forcing the leash into your hand. He turns to leave. “And you don’t own a fire axe. I’ll be back in two days.”

The Goods:

Jacket: APC
Sweatshirt: Dries van Noten
Trousers: Dries van Noten
Shoes: Tricker’s Woodstock

This is a simple outfit with a common color palette, but it's slick and clean and it looks damn good. What do you think makes it stand out?

It does not look pretentious or affected and probably because of the congruence between pieces, clean lines, soberness and the complementary shades of the colours. Actually, before I started wearing the jacket I regretted buying it for about a year.

@BreezyBirch

Original WAYWT here

LL

What this looks like: Trespassers W, short for Tresspassers Will, short for Trespassers William

“Ah, Lacrimacorpus dissolvens, or the common Squonk.”

“The what now?” Your friend makes a violent hand gesture.

”Shh! You’ll spook it into tears,” he says.

“What?” You’re whispering now, hunching next to him behind a boulder and staring in amazement at the hideous creature in front of you. It’s ambling down the trail on four legs; misshapen, warty skin drooping from its bones.

“They get sad because they’re so ugly,” your friend says.

“I can see why,” you say.

“Don’t be rude,” he says, “It’ll hear you. They’re very sensitive to bullying.”

“I’m not a bully!” you insist as quietly as possible.

“Remember that girl in fourth grade?”

“I had a crush on her!”

“You’re a bully. Here’s the plan,” he says, crouching forward and pulling off his coat. “I’m going to distract it with acorns.”

“Acorns?”

“While it’s busy, you sneak up and throw the coat over it.”

“What? Why? Bullying is bad, but kidnapping is okay?”

“Anything in the name of science. Ready?”

The Goods:

Hat: Cashmere toque
Coat: Robert Geller x Common Projects
Scarf: Rick Owens
Sweater: Stephan Schneider
Tee: Siki Im
Jeans: Robert Geller
Shoes: Marsèll

Although this photo doesn't necessarily show the same influence, you often incorporate very distinct non-western themes into your outfits. You're also one of the SW+D music dudes, art dudes, and food dudes. What I'm getting at is that you seem to have a lot of interests - how much of that gets reflected in the way you dress?

I'm sure some of that eclectic nature does get translated into how I dress from time to time; but I don't consciously think about those things. You know how when you're learning and you figure something out like that "ah hah!" moment, and you feel it on your gut - that feeling of everything clicking, of being right? That's kind of how I approach my purchases and the outfits that I wear - even if it's total beater stuff - if I feel like something is off then I don't usually wear that combination again - it feels vaguely uncomfortable. When I say that, it sounds insecure, to not be comfortable in whatever you have on - but it's not that. I believe everyone has their own personal vibe, and once you are able to hit that for yourself (be it through style, dancing, work, art, or anything) then you just invariably end up being so much more comfortable in your own skin, just chill. And from that comes a quiet confidence that is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trouble. Cozy trouble. Might be the best descriptive title yet IMO.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha synth you are hilarious, sorry for sending back such a bizarro answer (which is actually all true, by the way)

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
sorry reedo, i expected better from you. what a banal and trite response to synthese's awesome prompt.

Eug92

Reaction score
The idea of globe trotting with a mate exploring ancient wonders has me seriously reconsidering career paths, great write up as always.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thies' coat is lovely. So simple but the colour makes it unique.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads