• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is My Season (pics included)?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Are you friends with Carole Jackson or something? Your reply is highly disrespectful and meant to be that way. People might not respect image consulting the way they respect clothing makers, but the relative treatment here is galling. You are lucky to get any response.

musicboohoo[1].gif
The questions that I asked weren't difficult questions to answer.

As stated in bits and pieces over the years, Seasons is for the most part oversimplified and impractical. It would be time-consuming, likely unrewarding, and somewhat unfair (not having read everything) to explain in detail (even in the right sub-forum), but suffice it to say that body language, physical features, dress code, lighting, wardrobe variety, availability of colors at retail, personality preferences in color (subject and observer), etc. take precedence over slight differences in color as relates to complexion. Yes, he might look slightly better in some colors than others, which notably might be different for other people in the overly broad Winter category, but that hardly matters. For women, it might be different, and admittedly it isn't going to do anyone major harm to read Seasons material. Frankly, if examples are included, "Usually wear some non-neutrals" and "Be wary of solids (or near-solids) in children's colors" is adequate advice for most men.

We'll have to disagree. It's not time consuming at all to pick out colors that complement one's skin tone and it's very easy. Is it worthwhile? I guess it is to those that are interested (like the OP)...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be "time-consuming" to explain all that is wrong with Seasons. Since you seem to be a huge fan of it, is there anything about it you don't like?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be "time-consuming" to explain all that is wrong with Seasons. Since you seem to be a huge fan of it, is there anything about it you don't like?
Sure. To start, I think that you're correct in saying that it is, or can be, very general. Many people are a mix of tones/shades/colors (as am I). However, I still think it's a good start. Like anything else, I think it's good to know some rules before one goes breaking them. I think it's similar to body shapes, face shapes, etc... Are there good guides to follow? Of course. Can some people ignore those guides and still look good? Absolutely. Is that a majority of people? I don't think so. I think the majority of people DON'T have or think about their style, diet, hygiene, breath, shoe construction, shaving, etc.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collar-face shape guides are okay. Manton's book, The Suit, probably is the best guide about body types, and unfortunately does not apply to the vast world beyond suits and odd jackets. (Although here and there are decent articles about jeans and body types, for example.) If there were a great guide to colors, it would hereby be endorsed. Since most men apparently are too conservative in their color choices, it seems better just to say, Add a moderate amount of color that you like.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collar-face shape guides are okay. Manton's book, The Suit, probably is the best guide about body types, and unfortunately does not apply to the vast world beyond suits and odd jackets. (Although here and there are decent articles about jeans and body types, for example.) If there were a great guide to colors, it would hereby be endorsed. Since most men apparently are too conservative in their color choices, it seems better just to say, Add a moderate amount of color that you like.

I haven't read Manton's book yet. Whether or not you like the television show "What Not To Wear", their whole book "Dress Your Best" is about different body shapes (men and women) and how to dress accordingly. It covers dressing from jeans to suits for all body types if you're interested.

Flusser's book "Dressing The Man" is basically an updated version of all of the information covered in the book by Carole Jackson. Her book I believe was, unfortunately, way ahead of its time.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are definitely Autumn, period.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I think that both tck13 and mensimageconsult are right to some degree. I'm sure that the seasons methodology is far from perfect, but I do think that it has validity and is a good base from which to look at choosing colors that make you look your best.

Originally Posted by Maharlika
You are definitely Autumn, period.

Really? If you aren't joking, do you mind elaborating? I was thinking I was Winter and others in the thread have said the same. Thanks.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress Your Best is okay as a fit book, though shirt fit basically is ignored. For general style, no - for example, many of the pictured patterns for men often are too loud. Sometimes the colors therein are to blame. What works in the color world does not necessarily work in the real world. Flusser's book does color well and mostly ignores loud colors. However, more than anything, it's a picture book for lovers of classic menswear.

sifl

Reaction score
Wear what you like. Sartoriaseasonology is for suckers.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
I think Season 1 of Queer as Folk fits you to a T. Although, seriously, you're probably a Fall, but I'd imagine your fiery latin boytoy would like to see you in some flashy colors once in a while.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom
I think Season 1 of Queer as Folk fits you to a T. Although, seriously, you're probably a Fall, but I'd imagine your fiery latin boytoy would like to see you in some flashy colors once in a while.

lol thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads