• We would like to welcome Overt Skincare as an official Affiliate Vendor. Overt is a different kind of skincare company that’s transforming the industry through transparency, efficacy, and charity. After a positive reaction as a guest of Epaulet (one of our stalwarts) Overt decided to join our ranks. This is the first skincare line to have an official presence on Styleforum, and we are very excited to have them on board. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is my Drop? Suit sizing questions

newintown23

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased 2 suits from Suit Supply in NYC in the Washington cut. I tried the suits on in the store with the manager helping me, and she told me to get the 40R in this line. I do not own one 40R jacket, so i found this rather odd, but being inexperienced I trusted she knew what she was doing. She measured me up, and I was on my way. I paid for the suits and asked if they can ship them to me when they were done, because the store is an hour plus away from my home. She kindly said yes.
After wearing each suit one time, i realized the suit definitely does not fit me. I cant move in the jacket.

I called up the store and I told them about this, and a stain i found on the shoulder of the gray suit and I have an appointment to go back and see her on Monday. She told me she will see what she can do to make me happy. Now again, I am a total rookie here, but im almost certain they took a little out of the sides to give me extra room, but it is not enough. If i button the suit i feel super tight.

I just looked at the pants and they are a drop of 6 which they took out. I measured to what they took them out to, and it looks like 37.
So they took 3 inches out... I have a few questions here-

1. Is this ok they took the pants 3 inches out? Is that a lot or its ok?

2. I know there is no way they are going to be able to do anything with these jackets, so I really hope they give me the size up.
Should i insist on getting different trousers as well? The ones i have now seem to fit me ok, but its a brand new suit and I want it
to be right...

3. So what is my REAL drop? I like the flat front pants which arent huge on me. I would imagine other parts of the pants are bigger from a 35 waist to a 37 correct? My waist seems to be a 37 and a suit jacket of 42... Therefore am i looking for a drop of 5 OR a drop of 7, and take them out 2 inches for a better fit?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance,

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you have on a dress shirt while trying on the suits?

newintown23

Reaction score
I didnt... I was very casual, but they provided me one there... So yes, i did at the time

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are impatient, beyond words.

If you can return them do so, if not.... If they have been altered then probably not - your "drop" seems an irrelevance other than in the money you have lost.

Move a little up market as well.

Last edited:

newintown23

Reaction score
GBR- Great words of wisdom. Big help.I thank you for providing such great advise to a new guy on the forum. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me. It is much appreciated. Cheers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.