• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is most formal: Captoe Oxford, Plaintoe Oxford, or Wholecut Oxford

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi All There was an interesting question in the "Ask a quick question" thread and because I'd be interested in a broader view and maybe the odd personal comment on the subject, I thought I'd start a new thread. The question was whether a captoe or plaintoe Oxford was the more formal of the two and then where the wholecut fit in the picture. I argued that the wholecut would be the most formal for festive occasions following the "the less decoration the more formal" rule. In the other thread I argued, though, "that it may depend on type of formality. If you're talking work-environment, a cap-toe Oxford is as formal as it gets. If you're talking festive occasion, then a wholecut beats the cap-toe. This doesn't mean it cannot be worn casually but it isn't a casual shoe as such. In my view it is comparable to a dinner jacket: fewer buttons, no pocket flaps, generally cleaner lines. But I don't think one could say which is more formal: a dinner jacket or a blue navy two-button suit. It depends on the occasion." What do you think? And why?

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
I assume you're talking about professional or business situations, but for men's clothing, the most formal shoe is the patent tuxedo pump (which I personally can't stand).

retozimmermann

Reaction score
You're right, I shoul have mentioned that one myself. Although I've even heard the argument that some consider a highly polished non-patent calf more elegant. I tend to agree.

Do you have any opinion on a dinner jacket outfit with captoes vs same outfit with captoes?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, you can say that a dinner jacket is more formal than a navy two-button suit.
I don't think there's any question about that.

You're trying to distinguish between different kinds of formality, whereas you could just as easily say there is one formality scale, and the navy suit is in the upper third of the business-formal range, which itself is below the festive-formal range at whose (probably) bottom third the dinner jacket resides.
Just as something can be too casual, it can be too formal, e.g., morning coat to a budget meeting.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I voted captoe, but the question is pretty ambiguous and speaks nothing to appropriateness.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
yes, you can say that a dinner jacket is more formal than a navy two-button suit.

You're trying to distinguish between different kinds of formality, whereas you could just as easily say there is one formality scale, and the navy suit is in the upper third of the business-formal range, which itself is below the festive-formal range at whose (probably) bottom third the dinner jacket resides.
Just as something can be too casual, it can be too formal, e.g., morning coat to a budget meeting.

You're right, there really is no need to distinguish. I guess I never thought about someone turning up in the office in a morning coat that I automatically separated business from the rest.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I voted captoe, but the question is pretty ambiguous and speaks nothing to appropriateness.

I was writing rather hurriedly, wasn't I.

Generally, without considering appropriateness, I would propose the following shoe-order (increasing formality)

Captoe->Wholecut->Pumps. Interestingly I'd position the Oxford plaintoe as less formal than the Captoe, which goes counter to the "decoration" argument. But maybe my hunch on this is just plain wrong
laugh.gif

If we're talking business-environment, all up to the wholecut is appropriate, pumps or any kind of patent shoes are not.

If we're talking festive, the more formal the better, but the pumps should really only be worn with white tie.

Would you agree? Or was I missing the point you made regarding appropriateness?

Cheers
Reto

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood

Well, in my gut, I agree, but I'll protest anyway.

Dinner jacket is the evening equivalent of the navy suit, and has equal formality. Of course nowadays, everyone treats dinner jacket as 'more formal' and wears them for mid afternoon weddings, but one might argue that both are semi-formal wear for their respective times of day.

Is white-tie more formal then morning suit?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less decoration implies more formality, regardless of the venue. All else being equal, wholecuts are more formal than plaintoe oxfords are more formal than captoe oxfords. With a dinner jacket, patent leather is considered the leather of choice.

(I excluded patent leather pumps from consideration, since I consider them limited-use shoes and I will never own a pair. They may well be more formal than wholecuts.)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp

Dinner jacket is the evening equivalent of the navy suit,

A navy suit is work wear.

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Well, in my gut, I agree, but I'll protest anyway.

Dinner jacket is the evening equivalent of the navy suit, and has equal formality. Of course nowadays, everyone treats dinner jacket as 'more formal' and wears them for mid afternoon weddings, but one might argue that both are semi-formal wear for their respective times of day.

Is white-tie more formal then morning suit?

Isn't dinner jacket the evening equivalent of the black lounge AKA stroller? At least in theory, the latter being sort of extinct...

White tie (evening) = morning dress (daytime).

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
If you're talking work-environment, a cap-toe Oxford is as formal as it gets.

I think you are conflating "Conservative Business Dress" with formality.

A cap-toe Oxford seems to be the least objectionable possible shoe, thus perfect as conservative business dress. I agree with thinman that the less decoration there is on a shoe, the more formal it can be.

The most formal occasions have nothing to do with money, the making of it, and if the occasion does then it is has slid down the formality scale.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izhitsa
Isn't dinner jacket the evening equivalent of the black lounge AKA stroller?

+1

Dinner jacket and navy suit are certainly not the same level of formality.

Originally Posted by retozimmermann
Captoe->Wholecut->Pumps. Interestingly I'd position the Oxford plaintoe as less formal than the Captoe, which goes counter to the "decoration" argument. But maybe my hunch on this is just plain wrong
laugh.gif

+1. I also feel that a cap-toe seems more formal than a whole-cut or plain-toe (unless, of course, the plain-toe is patent).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads