• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Missing in the Denim World?

PabloDiablo

Reaction score
there is no excess fabric, it takes an extra half yard.
how about selvage on the outside?
colored, patterned front pocket bags.
inside back pockets, the opening in the yoke seam.
wide belt loops, or no loops.
bottoms fitted to fit in the top of boots.

Here is a pair of 501's that Gaultier did in collaboration with Levis a few years back. He in fact did put the selvage on the outside and i really like how it looks. Gives it a little bit of a military/uniform flair.

Last edited:

Somar

Reaction score
That's a bit too much!

PabloDiablo

Reaction score
That's a bit too much!

Well, I can only surmise that his take on it is that it's already there so why not show it. He has explored in the past the inner made outer in his couture and ready to wear lines to great effect. I think it is very Gaultier and for that reason alone many won't appreciate it as he tends to provoke, which many men don't want to do with their clothing. He also did a Levi's jacket in the same style, I would post pics but I wouldn't want your head to explode
biggrin.gif
.... and no I don't wear them together as it is a bit much even for me!

AceBoogie

Reaction score
How about selvedge denim with zipper fly rather than the predominant button fly?
I have zip fly on my Flathead Inazumas and tbh i prefer button fly. The zip keeps going down on its own and there are days where i probably walked around with the zip down for hours without realizing it fell on its own. I also hate when i wash it and it shrinks and having to stretch it back out again with a zip is not fun

Somar

Reaction score
Well, I can only surmise that his take on it is that it's already there so why not show it. He has explored in the past the inner made outer in his couture and ready to wear lines to great effect. I think it is very Gaultier and for that reason alone many won't appreciate it as he tends to provoke, which many men don't want to do with their clothing. He also did a Levi's jacket in the same style, I would post pics but I wouldn't want your head to explode
biggrin.gif
.... and no I don't wear them together as it is a bit much even for me!
Don't worry head will stay on his place. I'm just more fan of a normal 5 pocket denim. I like the saying: ''Less is more''. And for me, those levi's are really is a bit too much. I'm glad you enjoy them. By the way this doesn't mean that everything I buy and like is dull, grey and ''normal''
lol8[1].gif
. For example, I like the fact that N&F plays with different fabrics (like Master-Classter said). What he did is definitely provoking and he made me ANGRYYYY, no just kidding.

P.S. Are you going to post fit pics or what?
biggrin.gif

yufu22

Reaction score
Tailor you said "inside back pockets, the opening in the yoke seam." - do you mean to create an opening there that kind of "connects" with the back pocket?

Also, gents I appreciate the input... what kind of different fabric / blend etc. would be interesting? Like everyone's been saying N&F is pretty keen on that - I've seen them do everything from Linen blend to Kevlar blend.

Also, what do you guys think about not going so over the top like the Levis x Gaultier collaboration, but just like a selvedge back pocket as a signature?

Thanks gents!

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selvedge back pockets have been done -- in multiple ways -- just like selvedge coin pockets, selvedge waistbands, and selvedge-everything-else. It died out as a buzz word a year or two ago once the GAP had endless racks of selvedge denim for $18.99. Nobody cares any more.

PabloDiablo

Reaction score
Don't worry head will stay on his place. I'm just more fan of a normal 5 pocket denim. I like the saying: ''Less is more''. And for me, those levi's are really is a bit too much. I'm glad you enjoy them. By the way this doesn't mean that everything I buy and like is dull, grey and ''normal''
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
. For example, I like the fact that N&F plays with different fabrics (like Master-Classter said). What he did is definitely provoking and he made me ANGRYYYY, no just kidding.

P.S. Are you going to post fit pics or what?
biggrin.gif

lol8[1].gif
I do get it, it isn't for everyone that's for sure but I am glad there are people that push the boundaries, as for fit pics if I get motivated I'll take/post a few but only after I get my flame marsupialant suit ready!

PabloDiablo

Reaction score
Selvedge back pockets have been done -- in multiple ways -- just like selvedge coin pockets, selvedge waistbands, and selvedge-everything-else. It died out as a buzz word a year or two ago once the GAP had endless racks of selvedge denim for $18.99. Nobody cares any more.

yes, but that doesn't mean we should be dismissive or jaded on all things selvedge, especially just because the gap did it. Selvedge has been around a long time and will continue long after we are gone. If you like it buy it and wear it.

yufu22

Reaction score
So what is the solution then if you want to do something different?

Selvedge has been done everywhere, fabrics have been done everywhere, and the consensus is that the basic 5 pocket shape cannot / should not really be changed.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Twisted seam / J shape has been done. So has painted / coated / waxed / etc.

Stillblade

Reaction score
90 oz. selvage camo print with battery powered light up seams

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bell bottoms...

Realistically, it will be hard to be innovative in denim jeans anymore unless you are going to go to some sort of extreme. I thought that real motorcycle-able jeans without weird patches would be there, but there is eSquad doing those...

yufu22

Reaction score
That's true.

I guess it will definatley be difficult

Somar

Reaction score
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
I do get it, it isn't for everyone that's for sure but I am glad there are people that push the boundaries, as for fit pics if I get motivated I'll take/post a few but only after I get my flame marsupialant suit ready!
Exactly...Without people pushing boundaries, earth would be a dull place.

FLAME ON!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads