• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is medium ground for shoe quality?

c55

Reaction score
In a recent thread a few people were talking about the Testoni Black Label. People start to mention that the Black label is superior and almost everything below the black label just isn't worth it, or that great, which I think is crap advice.

I think if you are going to give someone advice on a shoe, you should really set the standard for what is a good value priced shoe. I mean where is the bar set and what brand - John Lobb?

A Yoox $200 Testoni that is made in italy with nice leather and construction is going to be a far superior shoe than a Kenneth Cole made $160 shoe made in China - that's obvious to many, but not to everyone.

What brand(s) should set the bar, and at what pricepoint?

csgrad

Reaction score
When I mentioned that I wouldn't recommend buying below black label I meant that below that level, you're not getting anything special that warrants the testoni name. By default, testoni shoes are over priced as they are more of a fashion forward brand, like a black label testoni retails more than a tramezza but is not as good.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "medium-ground" but I believe most people use Allen Edmonds as the standard here, whether they consider AE to be the minimum acceptable quality or as a benchmark for grading other shoes.

c55

Reaction score
E came to mind, but ya "minimum acceptable quality" is something I was thinking of.
What brand starts that chain?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csgrad
When I mentioned that I wouldn't recommend buying below black label I meant that below that level, you're not getting anything special that warrants the testoni name. By default, testoni shoes are over priced as they are more of a fashion forward brand, like a black label testoni retails more than a tramezza but is not as good.
I would think it depends what testoni's you're looking at. I own both. I like my black label testoni's better, in terms of styling, leather quality, fit, and just the way they feel. So although some black labels may not be as good as some tramezzas, it's not a matter of fact.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c55
AE came to mind, but ya "minimum acceptable quality" is something I was thinking of.
What brand starts that chain?

I don't think the term "medium ground" is entirely accurate. I would say that AE is the ground level for a quality shoe to be had at a reasonable price. I would call them "minimum acceptable quality" to spend over $150 on. Trying to find a "medium ground" shoe that we can all agree on (or even a clear majority) may be difficult.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I would do is put AE squarely on the so-called knee of the curve. Above that, the marginal utility per dollar spent starts to tail off, and below it, the utility lost per dollar saved becomes out of proportion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads