• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is it like to serve in the military?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i know there are some SFers who have served or are serving. what kind of experience have you had? would you recommend it? what kind of person is best suited to serve?

Spilotro

Reaction score
I have many friends who are currently active duty. Some absolutely love it, and wouldn't trade it for the world, and others find it tedious and are ready for discharge.

I have found actually that of my friends in the military, it is the guys who have combat related roles who are happiest with their military careers. Who would have thought?

MichaelE

Reaction score
I was born into a military family and was quite familiar with what to expect.

It's not for everyone. If you have no discipline in your personal or work life, you may not find it very appealing. I have seen the military change some people though, so all is not lost if that is what you are looking for.

You will get out of the military exactly what you are willing to give.

If you decide you would like to serve in the armed forces, do it because you want to serve your country and not yourself. By that I mean, the college money, the enlistment bonus, the promise of a fantastic job, etc., etc.

Many see all of the perks, but when the time comes to start pounding sand, killing the enemy, and other unpleasantries, they think they can just give two-weeks notice and go home.

Of course, not every job in the military has you humping a 90 pound pack and a rifle in 120 degree heat.

There are many opportunities in the computer field, electronics, mechanics, the sciences, administration, etc.

Not to mention flying aircraft, monitoring our land-based ICBM forces (my job), driving tanks and ships, or working in a support role for those systems.

Talk to others if you can, or a recruiter if you must. Do not believe anything they tell you unless you get it in writing. That is a fact.

USAF 1981-1987
351st SMW
510th SMS
Whiteman AFB, MO

Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less.

Minuteman II LGM-30F

mikeber

Reaction score
a) What kind of military service do you refer to? Military is as inclusive word as "high tech career", getting into business, etc..
b) Generally speaking, military has many more non combatant positions then combat ones.
c) IF you fit in, it may be an excellent career. You can get education, learn things which in private sector are unheard of, be responsible on systems which again in the private sector you cannot even dream of.
d) you can save more money towards your future then otherwise, and enjoy a career stability unmatched in civilian life. This however can be a downside for some.
e) The relations between people serving together are of a different quality then relations in a 9-5 office. Some friendships made there are for life.
h) On the other hand, you will give away much of your personality. You will live within discipline boundaries which many cannot take. It is a personal choice.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say that there are 3 groups in the military

1. training

2. combat

3. non combat

everything in the military requires some discipline - in some ways you are like a prisoner, in that you can't do what ever you want when you want, you need to minimalize your ego to fit within the needs of the organization. this can be hard for some, it can be very rewarding for others. I think that most people can benifit from this for a while

in training, and that can be from 3 weeks to 24 months, you have extremly high discipline - you might be punished 10 times a day, you might be treated like you are pretty much worthless, you might be under extreme mental and physical stress all the time, you might be extremly sleep deprived. again, some people thrive on this, although very few people enjoy it.

combat units, and it really depends on who you ask what a combat unit is, are the real heart of the military. here you are faced with life and death issues, you are usually working in an extremly physical enviroment with a strongly masculine identity, you are usually (even at peacetime) involved in activities that could be fatal if people aren't focused on doing their job correctly. some people really thrive on this, and some hate it. This was something that I really loved, in a lot of ways. there is also a strong heriarcy, not just by rank, but also by unit - light infantry think that they are better than infantry, that think that they are better than tanks, that think that they are better than engineers, etc.

non-combat. some people enjoy a life in non combat positions. they like the discipline. honestly, I don't get it, but to each their own.

Mr T

Reaction score
I guess I will add another data point. My experience is now 20 years old but I don't think the Army has really changed (except the technology of course) in centuries.

In short, the food sucks and everything smells like wet canvas. The days are long and just when you start liking your surroundings they make you leave. Most of your time is spent waiting around for something to happen while you discuss the finer aspects of women and sports. Of course there is the whole getting shot thing to consider. 20 years ago that seemed remote but in today's Army is worth some thought.

On the other hand, as a lost kid just out of high school the Army set me on a path of self discovery and discipline that continue to serve me well. Additionally, the characters I met during my time ensured some hilarity and fond memories. The funniest damn people always seemed to cross my path.

In retrospect, during a period of nothing but poor personal choices, the choice to join the Army was outstanding.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T

On the other hand, as a lost kid just out of high school the Army set me on a path of self discovery and discipline that continue to serve me well. Additionally, the characters I met during my time ensured some hilarity and fond memories. The funniest damn people always seemed to cross my path.

In retrospect, during a period of nothing but poor personal choices, the choice to join the Army was outstanding.

I agree, to this day, my best friend (who I met while serving) still crack up about some of the characters we worked with.

To the OP:

There are some great advantages aside from just serving your country (which is the most important reason). While life is somewhat disciplined, it becomes remotely close to a 9-5 job, with some extracurricular activities involved i.e. humps, PT, combat training exercises, etc.

However you have the opportunity to see other parts of the world, you'll meet some of the best people in your life (atleast in my experience), your education is paid for, you really have little financial responsibilty (if you're fiscally savvy)...you get the opportunity to get dirty and play with nonordinary weapon systems.

You do have to give a lot of yourself away, but eventhough you may not realize it while serving, there are benefits. Would I re-enlist in the Corps? Not likely, but if I had to do it all again, I surely would.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
...Not to mention flying aircraft, monitoring our land-based ICBM forces (my job), driving tanks and ships, or working in a support role for those systems.

USAF 1981-1987
351st SMW
510th SMS
Whiteman AFB, MO

Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less.

Minuteman II LGM-30F

MichaelE: As part of my 27 years wearing Air Force blue, I served from 1975 - 1979 as a crewmember in the 509th SMS, Whiteman AFB, MO. What was the name of that 'greasy spoon' on the main drag in Knob Noster?

Have a great day!

PS: Regarding the OP, IMHO, there is no more honorable or more fulfilling way to make a living, while serving the greater good!

MichaelE

Reaction score
Right on the corner of McPherson and the main drag down to the tracks? I can't remember, but damn, don't that bring back some memories!

Used to be a liquor store catty corner at the intersection from that I'd stop to buy beer after the Class IV store closed on Sundays.

If you haven't been back lately, you'd never know the place. All the steam pipes are underground or else they eliminated the steam plant over by the motor pool, the whole row off buldings coming in from the Knob gate have been replaced.

Headquarters, Job Control, Keys & Codes, OMMS, FMMS, everything is gone and rebuilt to support the Bomb wing.

Nice to see another Crewdog here. Especially from Whiteman.

That restaraunt was packed everytime I passed it, but I didn't feel very welcome in town.

MichaelE

Reaction score
Hey! If you'd like the EAM tone for your mobile, let me know. I'll e-mail you the sound file.

Been trying to get it for some time now. I have the original, and the REACT after the mod tone. You and I were not there for the new one.

Pretty cool when your phone goes off. Get the grease pencil ready!

Crowlin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
i know there are some SFers who have served or are serving. what kind of experience have you had? would you recommend it? what kind of person is best suited to serve?
This is a very broad question! What country are you from and what force do you wish to join?

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
...If you haven't been back lately, you'd never know the place. All the steam pipes are underground or else they eliminated the steam plant over by the motor pool, the whole row off buldings coming in from the Knob gate have been replaced.

Nice to see another Crewdog here. Especially from Whiteman.

That restaraunt was packed everytime I passed it, but I didn't feel very welcome in town.

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, I haven't been back since I left Whiteman in June 1979 for a tour as an AFROTC Instructor at Mississippi State Univ. Your observation regarding the attitude of the townspeople and the Base is spot-on...it was definitely a love hate relationship!

Have a great day!

Droog

Reaction score
Army infantry officer retiree here. I was on a glide path in life with a free ride and fellowship to become a Ph.D. clinical psychologist, but realized after I got the masters that I did not want to do psychotherapy (nor had I ever wanted to be an academic). With this insight, I walked into my local Army recruiter and asked, "What's the fastest way I can become an officer?" Eight months later I was at Fort Dix, New Jersey, in basic training en route to Officer Candidate School. It is easily one of the best decisions I made in my life. I served in an organization where honor and standards mean something, that serves a vital purpose, and offered variety, travel, and, at times, excitement. It also developed me - mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually - more than I would likely have done on my own. As said before, however, it's not for everyone, and you reap from military service in proportion to your personal investment. One of the jobs I enjoyed most was running an ROTC program where I was able to lead young men and women and develop them from cadets into officers.

My son just reported for duty on Friday to the 82nd at Fort Bragg. After deciding he did not want to continue with his music program at college, he joined up last August (purely his idea), and the changes in him have been both astounding and gratifying. He is proud of his profession and the uniform, is much more focused on whatever the task at hand, thinks things through much better, is much more of a team player, is generally more discerning about people, and obviously has developed the essential discipline, personal organization, and attitudes he needs for success.

repressedm

Reaction score
Droog,

Can you please describe the cultural differences you encountered when moving from academia to the military?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Droog
Army infantry officer retiree here. I was on a glide path in life with a free ride and fellowship to become a Ph.D. clinical psychologist, but realized after I got the masters that I did not want to do psychotherapy (nor had I ever wanted to be an academic). With this insight, I walked into my local Army recruiter and asked, "What's the fastest way I can become an officer?" Eight months later I was at Fort Dix, New Jersey, in basic training en route to Officer Candidate School. It is easily one of the best decisions I made in my life. I served in an organization where honor and standards mean something, that serves a vital purpose, and offered variety, travel, and, at times, excitement. It also developed me - mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually - more than I would likely have done on my own. As said before, however, it's not for everyone, and you reap from military service in proportion to your personal investment. One of the jobs I enjoyed most was running an ROTC program where I was able to lead young men and women and develop them from cadets into officers. My son just reported for duty on Friday to the 82nd at Fort Bragg. After deciding he did not want to continue with his music program at college, he joined up last August (purely his idea), and the changes in him have been both astounding and gratifying. He is proud of his profession and the uniform, is much more focused on whatever the task at hand, thinks things through much better, is much more of a team player, is generally more discerning about people, and obviously has developed the essential discipline, personal organization, and attitudes he needs for success.
Great post. Greats story. My father was in the British Army for 25 years, from boy soldier to Music Director. Malaya, Germany, and England. He loved every minute of it. He was a brilliant, if unorganized, guy. Typical absent minded prof. type. The army really helped him grow in many areas of need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads