• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about the EG Hythe that SF'ers love?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
EG Chelsea dark oak 82 last
EG Hythe burnt pine 888 last

The Edward Green Hythe seems to consistently figure in every sale, and forum members snap it up. At first glance, the design seems odd as it has no throat design and thus has a bit of a wholecut look, but this is broken by the cap toe with broguing.

I was wondering whether people snap this up because it is an oxford usually in the sale and in burnt pine, or because it is the oxford always in either of the popular 82 or 888 lasts, or because people think it is a different but elegant design that is a good pick for a lighter-colored oxford.

In other words, if you had a choice of another oxford, would you still go for the Hythe in the sale?

Just wanted to hear from the Hythe owners.

Thanks to aportnoy for the pics.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Hythe was pretty much the only non-black oxford in my size in the previous sale.
Although I like it enough to have bought one, there are many other styles of oxford I prefer.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Swan's neck. I actually tried to buy the Hythe in the recent sale and it was already gone.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the "Edward Green" name has a lot to do with it. It's the same situation with the velvet slippers by RLPL/EG that Grapevinehill has once in a while. Truly I don't see those slippers as useful, but they always get bidded on and bidded up.

I don't like the color (tannish, not very versatile), nor do I like the lack a throat line. Like you said, it's a pair of shoe that's not quite sure of itself.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. If you had the Hythe in 888 in burnt pine in your size, and another more traditional oxford in 82 in burnt pine, what would you go for? (Assuming people here generally prefer the 888.)

Of course, I guess the SF answer would be: Both.

picturesmichiganndrandohy2.jpg
[/URL]

lichfieldfrontgp1.jpg

jjl5000

Reaction score
Well now, I would prefer the Lichfield (above) if it was on sale but I'd probably get both.

This year I managed a Chelsea on the 888 & Russell on the 82.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
Well now, I would prefer the Lichfield (above) if it was on sale but I'd probably get both.
Yes, there's something very appealing about the Adelaide-style broguing around the facings of the Lichfield. The closest I have in a perf-captoe is the Berkeley, which, like many EG oxfords, retains the swan's neck feature.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Yes, there's something very appealing about the Adelaide-style broguing around the facings of the Lichfield. The closest I have in a perf-captoe is the Berkeley, which, like many EG oxfords, retains the swan's neck feature.

Berkeley is a classic and a favourite of mine. I noticed EG have a lot of Churchill's in their winter sale this year, which is identical.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a classic but somewhat rarer design, they look great. If you have a lot of shoes already, it's a great way to round out some variety in your collection without going weirdo.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
They are a classic but somewhat rarer design...

Really? I picked up a pair in last years winter sale.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
They are a classic but somewhat rarer design, they look great. If you have a lot of shoes already, it's a great way to round out some variety in your collection without going weirdo.

rarer design, meaning, not as commonplace as a standard captoe, wingtip, monk, etc. The swansneck is somewhat rarer

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't RL's non-EG Benton captoe in the same style?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you asking if the RL Benton is similar to the Hythe?

The Benton is a straight up captoe bal, no swansneck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads