• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is ironic clothing?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post-Hipster irony is rooted in the awareness that the subculture with which one identifies with was at one time, perhaps, original and rebellious and just but is now reduced to little more than a heard of sheep focused on acquiring things and the realization that there is nothing you can really do anymore that will set you apart, really. I think its why Cobain shot himself in the face and it's why I generally try to consider how I can contribute something to life rather than wallow in existential hell.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Post-Hipster irony is rooted in the awareness that the subculture with which one identifies with was at one time, perhaps, original and rebellious and just but is now reduced to little more than a heard of sheep focused on acquiring things and the realization that there is nothing you can really do anymore that will set you apart, really. I think its why Cobain shot himself in the face and it's why I generally try to consider how I can contribute something to life rather than wallow in existential hell.
Y'know you can totally score some rebellious and original Kurt Cobain Chuck Taylors at Nordstroms now....

kookydooky

Reaction score
how come i sometimes hear people say that those retro shirt that hipsters wear that have transformers and stuff on it as being ironic?

Do they mean its ironic because they wear those shirts even though they probably never watched the show

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
how come i sometimes hear people say that those retro shirt that hipsters wear that have transformers and stuff on it as being ironic?

Do they mean its ironic because they wear those shirts even though they probably never watched the show

I think it's ironic that the people you're describic don't seem to understand irony

mmm

Reaction score
Homeless people in suits.
Overweight, middle aged housewives in jogging suits.
Lululemon on people who clearly dont do yoga.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads