• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Inappropriate Job Interview Attire

SirWilliam

Reaction score
What is inappropriate job interview attire? I know this question has been asked before but I would like to get opinions on my unfortunate situation.

I have several interviews with Big 4 and Global 6 accounting firms and I do not want to dress too much like an accountant....

One of the Big 4 says that the interview attire is business casual so I was thinking of wearing a Navy suit jacket and navy-ish gray slacks (they are pretty close in color) with a white shirt with wide spread collar and french cuffs....I also would like to wear a red Hermes tie which has tiny pictures of fruit on it (...I know everyone on here hates these ties but it is one of the more conservative looking whimsical Hermes ties(...might be an oxymoron)) and black Edward Green oxfords.

I could wear a full suit but I am so bloody fat right now the only suit that really fits is a cheap Navy Joseph Abboud which has very wide leg opening which dwarf my small feet...the only thing that looks mildly passable with with this suit is a pair of black Mui Mui Loafers.

I am ready for criticism.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the business casual one, ditch the tie, go with a OCBD, wear chinos rather then slacks. If you have the wardrobe, ditch the blue blazer and go with something else, say tweed. Navy blazers are just too generic.

As for the other interveiws, wear the suit. White shirt. Nice tie.

gamma1234

Reaction score
I would avoid french cuffs for any interview. I think most non-SFers see french cuffs as too fancy and showy, or only reserved for partners and not the lowly associates.

I think cptjeff's advice is solid.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
For the business casual one, ditch the tie, go with a OCBD, wear chinos rather then slacks. If you have the wardrobe, ditch the blue blazer and go with something else, say tweed. Navy blazers are just too generic.

As for the other interveiws, wear the suit. White shirt. Nice tie.

Well they are going to want me to fit in to some degree...I do not think that dressing like my grandfather will help.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Well they are going to want me to fit in to some degree...I do not think that dressing like my grandfather will help.

+1

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think that dressing like my grandfather will help.

confused.gif

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Seymour

Reaction score
I would avoid wearing ties with any kind of animals or 'whimsical' pattern on them. Wear a solid-colored tie. Yes, it's boring and I hear you on not wanting "to dress too much like an accountant", but it is an interview and as much as they say it's "business casual", it is ultimately an accounting firm.

As for the suit, try and get the leg opening fixed at a local alternation place. Otherwise, if money is less of an issue, get a conservative navy or dark gray suit made or get yourself measured and find something on the Bay or here. Think of it as an investment to re-entering the job market - you will get lots of mileage out of it.

GBer

Reaction score
Please specify the level (e.g. associate, manager, director, partner) and location (NYC? London?). Is it a client-facing job? Does job responsibility include generating new business? Location in one of the central offices or a satellite office? Are you comfortable with and normally wear french cuffs & animal print ties? All of these will make a difference.

Keep in mind there are a lot of accountants out of work right now. Would hate to be dinged for a lack of professionalism (i.e. dress). Accountants are expected to be dull and conservative - a quick exterior judgment of personality from your appearance. Expected to follow rules, not bend them (e.g. GAAP, IFRS).

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

_Halloween%20prop%20Coffin%20popup_2.jpg

I also agree. Black suits which your grandfather is wearing (pics above), is not SF approved.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Please specify the level (e.g. associate, manager, director, partner) and location (NYC? London?). Is it a client-facing job? Does job responsibility include generating new business? Location in one of the central offices or a satellite office? Are you comfortable with and normally wear french cuffs & animal print ties? All of these will make a difference.

Keep in mind there are a lot of accountants out of work right now. Would hate to be dinged for a lack of professionalism (i.e. dress). Accountants are expected to be dull and conservative - a quick exterior judgment of personality from your appearance. Expected to follow rules, not bend them (e.g. GAAP, IFRS).

I am interviewing for a manager position in San Francisco. I know that most, and by most I mean all firms have a business casual dress code unless they are visiting clients...not that it really matters when it comes to job interviews. I regularly wear french cuffs with a jacket...I do not have any animal print ties...I have worn the fruit tie when visiting a couple of Fortune 100 clients and no one has said any thing.

I am not in audit I am in tax so all we do is bend rules as much as we can without turning a piggy into a hog.

...there were lots of layoffs the last couple of years but most of the firms under hired last year so it should not be too difficult to get a new job.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it just a US thing that french cuffs are 'too fancy?'

i never paid much attention to it when i lived in the US (nor did i have an office job in the US) but here in the UK, they seem about as popular as barrel cuffs with everyone.

infact, i wore french cuffs and gold cufflinks to both interviews for my current job.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the Big4s will say it's business casual, but you would be hard-pressed to find a single interview candidate in business casual. Ditto for banking, law, or consulting. Just wear a conservative suit and tie -- if you feel overdressed, you can always take off the jacket and tie. I've rarely seen any senior accountant from the Big4 dress in anything other than a black suit.
wink.gif
I'd go with white shirt, navy suit, maroon tie, and black captoes. In fact, I was just interviewing yesterday and wore a dark gray suit, light blue shirt, and a maroon tie with a very subtle light blue pattern, and black oxfords (consulting, not accounting). Pretty much everyone else was in a suit, despite the attire being advertised as business casual. The only guy who was not in a suit really wished he had at least brought a jacket along since he felt out of place. Even the partners who were doing the interviews were well dressed - french cuffs and all. Arguably, this is consulting - but I'd think the same rules apply. If anything, I'd go with more conservative, not less.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Yeah I am definitely wearing a tie jacket and wool slacks...I have only one conservative suit fits me right now...but then again I would still be better dressed than 90% of the candidates. I have a gray pinstriped suit that has a more tailored trouser but it has peak lapels and it is a wool and silk blend so it is kind of shiney...I am not really sure which is better.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
is it just a US thing that french cuffs are 'too fancy?'

i never paid much attention to it when i lived in the US (nor did i have an office job in the US) but here in the UK, they seem about as popular as barrel cuffs with everyone.

infact, i wore french cuffs and gold cufflinks to both interviews for my current job.

French cuffs always make your suit look a little more sharp! I think they look more upscale than regular cuffs.

Big T

Reaction score
I have interviewed many people over the years, for a variety of positions at my manufacturing plant. Some advice, keep it simple! I would rank some of the dandies that I've met in the same categories as some that come in with doo-rags on their head.

A management position dictates a suit and tie, with polished shoes. A well matched blazer/trousers/tie will do, but don't try to pass off same color blazer & Docker pants as a suit. Manufacturing positions (and there are probably a few on this forum who do work with their hands) require neat & clean and not a suit.

I've had all kinds come in for all positions. Girls at the receptionist desk are damn good at filtering the loads and toads out the door, but occasionally one slips by. Be damned if sometime I think they do it deliberately for their amusement! Usually some 400 pounder, wearing sweat pants that haven't been changed in a month. Stench enough to curl the hairs on your butt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads