What is Ike Behar Gold label?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmatt, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

I've seen some Ike Behar ties on ebaay with a gold label instead of the more familiar black. I assume these are legit, but wonder what the difference is?

Has anyone seen these in person? If so, how do they look/feel? Any idea of normal retail price? They look to have some sheen to the finish, but without seeing one in person I have no reference.

Any comments?

2. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

Has anyone seen Ike Behar gold label? Any comments?

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

i've only seen the black. do you have links? you'll get more of a response that way.

4. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

My experience has been that it is overpriced for its quality. Just the feel of, for example, a Loro Piana shirt compared to a Ike Behar Gold shirt says it all.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

While we're on Ike Behar, is it pronounced like "bear" or like "Bay-har." Also, does Ike rhyme with "bike" or is it more like "ee-kay."

I'm wondering because I believe he was born in Cuba? So, is this a Varvatos syndrome where we Anglosize the pronunciation or what?

John

p.s. Sorry for being off-topic... it's just that anytime I see this brand I wonder what I should be calling it. While I'm sure any pronunciation of it won't be as bad as, say, pronouncing the "g" in Zegna, nevertheless I'd rather know one way or the other. THANKS!

7. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

My experience has been that it is overpriced for its quality. Just the feel of, for example, a Loro Piana shirt compared to a Ike Behar Gold shirt says it all.
    Yes - but I'm asking about the ties, and wonder what the difference is between the regular black label and the gold label? How do the suggested retail prices compare, etc.?

8. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Saks carries the gold label (as well as black). The shirts are made in Canada from nice material and seem well made--at retail they're 135-175 or so. I have a couple of the gold label ties as well, which are servicable (not comparable to the good Italian makers, but not priced at that level either).

9. Associate

Associate Senior member

While we're on Ike Behar, is it pronounced like "bear" or like "Bay-har." Also, does Ike rhyme with "bike" or is it more like "ee-kay."

I'm wondering because I believe he was born in Cuba? So, is this a Varvatos syndrome where we Anglosize the pronunciation or what?

John

p.s. Sorry for being off-topic... it's just that anytime I see this brand I wonder what I should be calling it. While I'm sure any pronunciation of it won't be as bad as, say, pronouncing the "g" in Zegna, nevertheless I'd rather know one way or the other. THANKS!

I believe Behar is a sephardic jewish name and should be pronounced 'bay-HAR'.

10. zeitgeist

zeitgeist Active Member

the local Off Saks here carries Ike Behar gold, but very few.

I have found a couple of the 'normal' black label which have 'made in the USA' tags on them, although the majority I find are made in Peru (and a few in China).

11. vince321

vince321 Active Member

The black label can be found at may discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Max. However, the only place i've ever seen the gold label is at NM. Possibly this is a higher end Behar? If it's a good deal, then possibly the gold label is a much better buy.