What is "French Oxford" shirt material?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmatt, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

I've read Mr. Kabbaz' shirtings dissertation (very helpful - thanks) but don't see a mention of "french oxford." How does it compare to regular oxford? To pinpoint oxford?

I'm thinking of ordering some shirts made of "french oxford" but without fabric in hand, don't know exactly what to expect. The primary question is: Is French Oxford cloth fine enough for a business shirt with tie and suit?

Thanks.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Never heard the term. Perhaps it is the same as royal oxford?

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The primary question is: Is French Oxford cloth fine enough for a business shirt with tie and suit?

Absolutely. French or Royal Oxford is my choice for Fall and Winter shirts for both dress and casual. It has a wonderful texture that goes well with winter weight fabrics such as flannel. Personally, I find it a bit too warm for Summer and opt for a lighter weight shirt fabric.

You really should handle it before you order, it's a commonly carried item in men's stores. And, RO/FO is much dressier than Pin Point Oxford.

[​IMG]

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Jantzen lists three categories: Oxford, French Oxford, Pinpoint Oxford. What are the differences?

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Jantzen lists three categories: Oxford, French Oxford, Pinpoint Oxford. What are the differences?

There are only two Oxford cloths, Royal/French and Pinpoint, Jantzen's listing of Oxford and French Oxford are one in the same.