• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Brooks' Bros. sizing like compared to other brands?

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am 5'9 165. In the past I've had problems with jcrew "favorite shirts"(they don't seem to have these anymore) where the chest and upper back area were a little too tight-I remember wearing a medium then. Also, the torso length was a little short(not THAT short, just when I stretched you could see my lower stomach), but everything else fit fine(neck, stomach, sleeves) To give you some more sizes to compare to, I wear L ralph lauren polos, and M calvin klein undershirts.

In addition to their regular sizing, would Brooks' Brothers slim fit fit me?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am almost the same size as you. Is your neck size 15.5 or 16? Either case, you should be able to go with BB's Extra Slim Fit.

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
Brooks has many different varieties of fits. However, the selections of the slim types isn't as good. For example I was told they do not make french cuffs on the blue label slim ones.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I doubt I'd fit the slim fit, let alone the extra slim fit. I don't know my neck size either. Can anybody else reply to this thread and compare brooks' fitting to other brands like gap or ck? For example, I have a sweater from gap that is large but after a couple washings it is kind of short on my torso. And how do the Brooks Brothers polos fit? I have a problem with ralph lauren polos in that a L is a little tight fitting, though the length is fine. I've gained some weight and am 170 some pounds now.

jt10000

Reaction score
If you don't know your own neck size, you haven't even seriously started to look into fit. Do your own homework first, then ask for help.

House

Reaction score
I am 5'9 165. In the past I've had problems with jcrew "favorite shirts"(they don't seem to have these anymore) where the chest and upper back area were a little too tight-I remember wearing a medium then. Also, the torso length was a little short(not THAT short, just when I stretched you could see my lower stomach), but everything else fit fine(neck, stomach, sleeves) To give you some more sizes to compare to, I wear L ralph lauren polos, and M calvin klein undershirts.

In addition to their regular sizing, would Brooks' Brothers slim fit fit me?
Is that the Polo in the slim cut in L? BB in large slim cut will fit you the best. There is no xslim in the polos and besides, the xslim is an entirely different beast.
You'll be happy with them. I've worn just about every polo made over the years and for the price the BB is good. I've just looked and there are a few colours that are selling for $32 so with another 15% you can get 3 for $85+ ship

jt10000

Reaction score
so I have to look into neck size to know if I'm a M or L, or to shop for casualwear? Get the **** out of my thread you asshole.

Touched a nerve, huh? Can't be bothered to learn a fundamental measurement.

Do you know your chest size?

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is that the Polo in the slim cut in L? BB in large slim cut will fit you the best. There is no xslim in the polos and besides, the xslim is an entirely different beast.
You'll be happy with them. I've worn just about every polo made over the years and for the price the BB is good. I've just looked and there are a few colours that are selling for $32 so with another 15% you can get 3 for $85+ ship

It is the regular fit. I found online that Brooks Brothers runs large, so that if I usually wear L I should wear M. I'm considering getting a jacket and in my experience even a L in Gap or North Face jacket gets a little short after a few washings. This is strange because I'm not even tall. I'm leaning towards getting a L.

I am headed downtown next week and will visit a store and try something on to see. I remember when I was in NY and looked into their store they seemed to exclusively sell suits. Will they sell casualwear at their stores too? And do I kind of need to dress up before entering the store to be taken seriously? Thanks.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 5-8 about 180 lbs and I wear a medium in BB polo slim fit shirts. My dress shirts are 15.5-32 in the slim fit which fit me pretty good. I also have some SS linen slim fit linen shirts and those are all in medium also.

FYI, my weight will usually range from 175-185 and even at my heaviest at 190 the M size slim fit polos would still fit me (just barely).

House

Reaction score
It is the regular fit. I found online that Brooks Brothers runs large, so that if I usually wear L I should wear M. I'm considering getting a jacket and in my experience even a L in Gap or North Face jacket gets a little short after a few washings. This is strange because I'm not even tall. I'm leaning towards getting a L.

I am headed downtown next week and will visit a store and try something on to see. I remember when I was in NY and looked into their store they seemed to exclusively sell suits. Will they sell casualwear at their stores too? And do I kind of need to dress up before entering the store to be taken seriously? Thanks.
You said you never wore them and were asking an opinion so how do you know they run large? I measured one I have in a slim Large and the chest is only 46" so allowing the normal 4" for movement on knit shirts a L will fit a man with a 42" chest.

House

Reaction score
I'm 5-8 about 180 lbs and I wear a medium in BB polo slim fit shirts. My dress shirts are 15.5-32 in the slim fit which fit me pretty good. I also have some SS linen slim fit linen shirts and those are all in medium also.
FYI, my weight will usually range from 175-185 and even at my heaviest at 190 the M size slim fit polos would still fit me (just barely).
You would normally wear a large but it depends how your weight is distributed and if you have fully developed bone structure.If your chest is an average 42" then L is your size otherwise you're wearing your shirts too tight.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You said you never wore them and were asking an opinion so how do you know they run large? I measured one I have in a slim Large and the chest is only 46" so allowing the normal 4" for movement on knit shirts a L will fit a man with a 42" chest.

I read that they run large from various sources online, and it seems to be true from this thread also. Thank you for taking the time to measure your shirt and reply in this thread.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of Brooks Brothers fit. I'll seriously consider a M then, which is unfortunate because there is something I want to get that's only available in L haha. Before buying I'll make sure to head to the shop and try on some stuff - has anybody ever been to the physical store? Do they sell casualwear like polos, casual jackets/sweaters? And are you supposed to dress up(wear a collared shirt) before entering?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You would normally wear a large but it depends how your weight is distributed and if you have fully developed bone structure.If your chest is an average 42" then L is your size otherwise you're wearing your shirts too tight.

My BB Regent and Fitzgerald jackets are size 41. The polo shirts can get tight on me depending on how in shape I am or what I've been lifting but the dress shirts and SS linen shirts fit fine. I've tried the large slim fit polos and they just don't fit me well.

Last edited:

Capitano

Reaction score
Okay so to make it simpler, how does Brooks Brothers fit when compared to Polo Ralph Lauren ?
There is one pretty expensive jacket that I like on their website and I am reluctant to take the risk without knowing their fitting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads