• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is a versatile suit for non-business purposes

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know standard navy and dark grey/charcoal are the most versatile suit colors you can buy, mostly because you can wear it to work.

but if you're just completely ignoring the constraint that this also has to serve as a business suit, what is a good versatile suit to buy?

for going to nice restaurants, more evening parties, to wear when i host events, etc.,

jaxenro

Reaction score
Dark gray or navy works well for evening parties

Unless it’s summer in a hot climate then I would look at a linen or seersucker

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Medium/dark grey and navy remain the most versatile colors for a suit. You don't have to get a plain worsted fabric though. For example, a nailhead, birdseye, or sharkskin weave work well for something just a touch less formal. I would recommend avoiding stripes/pinstripes as these are more clearly associated with business.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another option would be a lighter shade of blue than navy—what is sometimes called Air Force blue. It won’t look like a business suit but will still be sharp, and more festive than navy.

The conventional caution with medium blues is that they can look a bit “electric” in bright sunshine. But as you are specifically wanting an evening suit, that’s not an issue.

JettStyle

Reaction score
As others have said, I would stick to blue (but I go brighter than Navy Blue). If you stick to a solid color (do not read boring), you can drive a lot of how it looks with your shirts, shoes and accessories.

A blue suit with the right black shirt will a good stylish look, that does not look too corporate/boring.

You should start checking out pictures that show the look you want. Check this forum, Instagram, Pinterest and such.

Also, check out SuitSupply's website, or store if you have one close by, i bet they will have a lot that you will like.

JettStyle

Reaction score
Don’t wear a black shirt with a navy suit

Not with Navy Blue. With Medium blue it can work well. The devil is in the details (shine and texture). Black and blue can certainly work, but not black and navy.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have seen some examples and I must say that I am also not a fan of blue suit plus black shirt. Please share any photos where you think this works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics