1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

What is a nice watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by anner624, Jan 24, 2009.

1. anner624

anner624 New Member

I had some money and decided to spend it on a watch. Relise I have no clue about watches of any sort of jewelry, so I bought a Armitron watch from eshopintuition.com. Are they any good, what is the average price for a good watch?

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Good is very vague.

3. sbrneu

sbrneu Well-Known Member

Wow, it really looks like eshopintuition has some spectacular deals. What an amazing coincidence that 2 brand new members recommend them at the same time.

SPAM

4. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior member

I'm wearing Casio Calculator watches these days. It helps me figure out the probability of me getting laid much easier....[​IMG]

5. djf881

djf881 Well-Known Member

manouche, SF's resident watch expert, will doubtless stop by this thread to educate you shortly.

6. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

This is a nice watch.

[​IMG]

Twotone

7. bc78

bc78 Senior member

This is a nice watch.

[​IMG]

Twotone

+1

8. jtoddaz

jtoddaz Senior member

My dad has a seiko that has not had a hiccup in over 5 years. So to him thats good. I have an Omega, that while great quality, keeps the time in exactly the same way with similar accuracy. I would still cast a vote in their direction, though.

9. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

10. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I had some money and decided to spend it on a watch. Relise I have no clue about watches of any sort of jewelry, so I bought a Armitron watch from eshopintuition.com. Are they any good, what is the average price for a good watch?

Research first then buy

11. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Assuming that the Philippe Durfour Simplicity from my previous post is out of your price range (hard to say what it really costs as Mr. Durfour only makes a few a year and is not taking new orders. My guess would be $50 - $75k) then how about this Seiko Spirit (around $300)?

[​IMG]

Nice watches are available at any price point from $50 (Seiko 5) to as much as you want to spend. Do your research and stay away from quartz mall fashion watches (hopefully you kept the receipt). I'd wear a $50 Seiko 5 auto before a $10k fashion quartz watch, but that's just me.

Twotone

12. raphael

raphael Senior member

This is a nice watch.

[​IMG]

Twotone

Outrageously overpriced. Screams, "I'm a rich idiot who doesn't understand the value of a dollar".

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Outrageously overpriced. Screams, "I'm a rich idiot who doesn't understand the value of a dollar".

His dollar's not the same as your dollar, son. We all understand our own dollar's value at the margin, and many of us have difficulty understanding anyone else's.

14. Colpitts

Colpitts Member

His dollar's not the same as your dollar, son. We all understand our own dollar's value at the margin, and many of us have difficulty understanding anyone else's.

Cheers...

What a beautiful Timepiece.

15. djf881

djf881 Well-Known Member

Money is a function of the time spent to earn it. Some people have millions of dollars, and want to spend it on cars or boats or watches. The Dufours is a very expensive product for a niche audience of very wealthy buyers. It's handcrafted by a celebrity watchmaker, it's exclusive because it is available in extremely small quantities. And it's a very beautiful watch.