• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a lighter shorter outdoor classic coat?

BareSolid

Reaction score
OK so I have the obvious ones already in mind:
- Chesterfield
- Trench coat
- Pea coat

What is a lighter, shorter classic option for a coat and what colour is particularly advised?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mackintosh? or Harrington jacket? Either in light stone or khaki.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Checked out the Barbours, they look pretty damn cool and whatnot.

Any other specific recommendations for brands and particular coats?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Rainwear.

A chesterfield isn't really rainwear. A harrington would be a good idea.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A normal trench isn't short. It's at least 3/4 length.

Classic outdoor coat would be an overcoat. Double breasted. Black or very dark blue.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Oh good Lord.

When I said 'lighter' and 'shorter' and then asked about 'rainwear', I meant I already HAD the coats that I listed in the original post and that they did not fulfil those requirements.

Can someone link me to a good example of a harrington jacket or other listed examples?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For pictures of a classic harrington, google "baracuta harrington." The G9 wears shorter than it is because of the thick elastic band at the bottom of the jacket. This I don't like but plenty do. For lightweight + rain protection, how about a Barbour Ayr. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...f-For-Men.html This is a good example of a gazillion lightweight waterproof coats in a similar style.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
For pictures of a classic harrington, google "baracuta harrington." The G9 wears shorter than it is because of the thick elastic band at the bottom of the jacket. This I don't like but plenty do.

For lightweight + rain protection, how about a Barbour Ayr.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...f-For-Men.html

This is a good example of a gazillion lightweight waterproof coats in a similar style.

So are you recommending the Baracuta Harrington or not? You say that it has a band round the bottom (I think) which you then say you don't like - and I don't like that either. So is this a characteristic of all Harringtons or just the Baracuta?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Ah... just looked it up. The original G9 looks good but as soon as I saw the 'natural' coloured one, I immediately thought of skinheads. Is there a colour that could be advised... that would not make me look like a skinhead? Would tan or navy work better?

Aluan

Reaction score
Looking at the thread title, I immediately thought of a safari jacket.

But then I read the posts and it wasn't what you were looking for.

I guess I have safari jackets on the brain; maybe I should get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads