• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a Hacking Pocket?

Sustanon 250

Reaction score
Assuming this is an elementary question - any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sustanon

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
a jacket pocket at an angle like this:
New%20ImageKEV1.jpg
as opposed to this:
new.jpg
...images shamelessly pilfered from Darren's site....

Sustanon 250

Reaction score
Thank you - is this acceptable for business suits? My understanding is that it has, historically, been meant only for tweed jackets and the like.

Sustanon

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i like it and wear it happily in a business context, but it is regarded as a more casual look.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you - is this acceptable for business suits? My understanding is that it has, historically, been meant only for tweed jackets and the like.

Sustanon
Hacking pockets only look good/appropriate on non-business fabrics, such as tweeds, cords, and heavier, coarser fabrics. On a high twist, flat wool, like serge they'll look out of place. So, I doubt you wear tweed to the office, so the question is irrelevant.

Sustanon 250

Reaction score
(Sustanon 250 @ June 02 2005,13:16) Thank you - is this acceptable for business suits? My understanding is that it has, historically, been meant only for tweed jackets and the like. Sustanon
Hacking pockets only look good/appropriate on non-business fabrics, such as tweeds, cords, and heavier, coarser fabrics. On a high twist, flat wool, like serge they'll look out of place. So, I doubt you wear tweed to the office, so the question is irrelevant.
The question was not irrelevant - refer to my post if you will. Besides, the pic m@t has posted from Beaman's website has the hacking pocket on a business suit. Sustanon

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ June 02 2005,10:32)
Originally Posted by Sustanon 250,June 02 2005,13:16
Thank you - is this acceptable for business suits? My understanding is that it has, historically, been meant only for tweed jackets and the like. Sustanon
The question was not irrelevant - refer to my post if you will. Besides, the pic m@t has posted from Beaman's website has the hacking pocket on a business suit. Sustanon
I don't know what type of business in which red pinstripe suits are appropriate... bouncer, nightclub owner? Most guys on here work in conservative enviorments, so I was taking that into consideration. Either way, my point was that hacking pockets look out of place on fabrications that are typically used on "business suits." Thus you won't find many RTW suits like this.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either way, my point was that hacking pockets look out of place on fabrications that are typically used on "business suits." Thus you won't find many RTW suits like this.
Perhaps we should consider the possibility that RTW suits don't set an especially high standard. I value the sartorial opinion of Darren Beaman, Savile Row much more highly than I value the opinion of George Zimmer, Men's Wearhouse.
biggrin.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Historically, hacking pockets are not worn on business suits, but only on tweed suits and jackets.  They are considered a country, "horsey" detail.  They have become popular on business suits, however, because people (primarily Americans) think they help set their suits apart from the crowd, and also give them a more "bespoke" and/or "English" look.  A purist (I am one) would never get them on a city suit.  Tailors of course generally won't hesitate to make them -- they are after all in business to fulfill the client's wishes.

trogdor

Reaction score
They are considered a country, "horsey" detail.
I read somewhere that they are slanted so that, when riding a horse (and leaning forward) the pocket would remain horizontal and parallel to the ground. Anyone horsey enough to verify this? Chuck?

Perhaps when bike couriers start dressing more formally, they too will adopt a hacking pocket for similar reasons...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm not sure the point is that they are parallel to the ground when riding, only that they are easier to access when in the saddle. I have not ridden a horse since I got my sole hacking-pocketed jacket, so I cannot confirm this.

pejsek

Reaction score
Consider also that the angle of the pocket can vary. I have an old Henry Poole suit in dark blue flannel with beaded brown and electric blue stripes and very slightly angled pockets. It's certainly a bit of a country touch and gives the suit a more casual air (which is exactly the sort of thing I like). I guess I wouldn't wear it to a tax audit, but maybe that's just a California thing. I also seem to recall seeing Huntsman suits with a silhouette similar to the Darren Beaman suit pictured above. I personally don't think hacking pockets look right on too fine a fabric, but I wouldn't limit it to tweed or corduroy.
Manton is, of course, right about the rule.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Perhaps when bike couriers start dressing more formally, they too will adopt a hacking pocket for similar reasons...

then theyll need cuffs and pleats on the spandex shorts

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we should consider the possibility that RTW suits don't set an especially high standard. I value the sartorial opinion of Darren Beaman, Savile Row much more highly than I value the opinion of George Zimmer, Men's Wearhouse. Â
biggrin.gif
I think RTW suits set a higher standard than bespoke. Bespoke gives the customer the liberty in some cases to become the fashion designer, which leads to, in most cases, disaster... just look at a few of the suits guys on here have designed for themselves, or have written about getting made. I can just picture someone with way more money than taste getting a Duponi silk suit with a hacking pockets, as well as a ticket pocket. With RTW, you have professional designers who know what looks "right;" though their designs may not suit your taste, they will, for the most part, look "right." BTW, I'm not talking about Men's Wearhouse. I'm talking about any respectable maker Barbera, Kiton, RL, Zegna, etc... Also, this doesn't include fashion; Etro, Dolce, etc....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads