• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good quality fabric for a suit? All of them have wool? Why?

pingguo

Reaction score
A) What about summer suits?
B) Are there suits made without wool? Are they common?
C) All formal suits have wool?
D) What is the standard combination for high quality fabric for suits, the percentage? for the jacket and the pants?
E) What kind of combination is good for a humid place?

Thank you!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that you're new here but can you ask all of your questions in one thread instead of making separate ones for each question?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool if taken care will last a long time.

pingguo

Reaction score
I thought one post per topic. Otherwise might be confusing, no?
Specially since some of my questions have subquestions attached...

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i.) What is a good quality fabric for a suit? Wool ii) All of them have wool? No not all suits are made of wool. iii) Why (wool)? Why not? Wool is hardy, tough, versatile and does not lose its insulating power when wet. Wool can be made into tweed. Tweed is awesome. Buy tweed. If you plan to spend time in the high arctic use native skins or RAF clothing. A) What about summer suits? Summer suits are awesome. Recommend a boater to top it off for that "it's summer and I am a swellagant kind of guy who knows how to enjoy summer in class" kind of look. B) Are there suits made without wool? Yes. Most leisure suits are made out of polyester. You can dance the night away at 54. B2) Are they common? Yes they are common. Just ask your Taylor. C) All formal suits have wool? Yes, if they are formal. Avoid light cotton printed tuxedo shirts. They were funny in the 1980s, but like "Where's the beef?", we all have already heard that joke. D) What is the standard combination for high quality fabric for suits, the percentage? You mean wool? Because that depends on the individual. One might argue quivit, but considering the expense and rarity of this exotic yarn wool is far superior. D2) for the jacket and the pants? Most men wear a 1:1 jacket to pant ratio. Only trendy FAIL fashionistas will venture a different ratio. E) What kind of combination is good for a humid place? No coat, no pants.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingguo
I thought one post per topic. Otherwise might be confusing, no?
Specially since some of my questions have subquestions attached...

Yes but you seem to have an almighty ton of questions.

Just ask them all in one thread or else the page will just be filled with your questions.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Silk.

There is also a rather expensive polyester that is pricier than many good wools made by Scabal.

Really? What is it called?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pingguo, you would do yourself a big pleasure by first reading all of this: CLICK! Also, I deduce from your name you are in mainland China, therefore, a word to the wise: there is at present no, nada, zilch, meiyou good wool suiting to be had in the mainland, except if you're willing to pay through the nose. I believe, but do not quote me on this, this is because of a 100% import tariff on cloth. If you want the good stuff, go get it in Hong Kong, or mail order (from Dugdale, for example)

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think it would be helpful to lurk moar.

Matt S

Reaction score
A) A lightweight wool with an open weave is great for summer. A wool/mohair blend is also good for warm weather but is shinier. Linen makes for a great warm weather suit, but it wrinkles easily and is better for a more casual suit.
B) Wool is the most common fabric for suits, but wool/cashmere blends are somewhat common on high-end winter-weight suits. Linen and cotton suits can easily be found as well.
C) Wool, mohair and silk make for a dressy, formal look. But straight wool is best for the office.
D) The standard is 100% wool. Adding other fibres, such as cashmere makes the suit feel more luxurious but also less durable.
E) Wool/mohair blends (in an open weave and quarter lined) are great for a humid place. 100% wool is also fine. A 100% linen suit is probably best, but not for professional situations.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This OP has started half a dozen threads asking the most basic questions so don't spend too much energy trying to advise him. Either a troll or the ultimate noob.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RogerC
pingguo, you would do yourself a big pleasure by first reading all of this: CLICK!

Also, I deduce from your name you are in mainland China, therefore, a word to the wise: there is at present no, nada, zilch, meiyou good wool suiting to be had in the mainland, except if you're willing to pay through the nose. I believe, but do not quote me on this, this is because of a 100% import tariff on cloth. If you want the good stuff, go get it in Hong Kong, or mail order (from Dugdale, for example)

In Shanghai, Eleganza Uomo use Trofeo and other fabrics from Zegna at least. Not sure what else they use, but I would be surprised if the rest of their selection was ****. Of course by chinese standards this may be considered to be paying through the nose, but to me the prices were very reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads