1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good polo shirt brand. I need very high quality polos with real pearl buttons.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BullionBro, Aug 7, 2012.

1. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

Locaoste is high class to me. Anything more expensive is waste of money. I like the polos from Target as they have no logo whatsoever and don't cost much.

2. Mandres

Mandres Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I wear polo's for grillng, boating, yard work, etc. I buy them by the dozen, and throw them out regularly. The $15 version from Target or sporting goods stores lasts just as long and fits me better (I don't like the skin-tight modern cut).

3. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

John Smedley makes a nice Polo using Sea Island cotton. These have been very durable for me. They offer a couple different cuts as well with no obvious branding.

http://www.johnsmedley.com/uk/mens/

4. brokentelephone

brokentelephone Senior member

I like Carolina Herrera Polos; they have contrasting embroidered branding (small on chest), and use the same thread for the buttons -- looks GOOD

5. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

By the way, I should mention that riviera polo tends to shrink and are cut slim, so I would
    Go a size up. Also, mrporter sells them within the US so it's more convenient to buy from them
    Considering they have free shipping both ways.

1 person likes this.
  6. BullionBro

BullionBro Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

You can get some MTM polo shirts, and you can add MOP buttons, from Tailorstore. I got a few from there, am very happy with them.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

It's hard to say how long something will last and depends on a number of factors.I have some Lacoste that are over 10 years old and they still look new. They may even be older since they were made in France and the newer ones are made in Peru. However, all of my shirts are washed on the gentle luke warm cycle with a little Ivory or Woolite and hung on plastic hangers to dry. The tumble dryer wears clothes out. See the lint? That's your clothes being worn out.
    If money is no object then I'd get Smedley sea isle which will wear well despite the softness due to the long staple cotton. Wash and hang dry.
    I like Smedley because they are fully fashioned with saddle shoulders and banded bottoms
    You'll notice that the stripe matches perfectly with the sleeve. Saddle shoulder will also fit better on most men.

http://www.johnsmedley.com/us/mens/shop-by-collection/aw12-collection/aw12-wallcote-in-001

9. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

P.S.
    don't buy cheap shirts or clothes. There's no reason to because there's a limit to how many you'll wear out a year. Cheap stuff is for poor people. On the other hand there's no reason to buy the most expensive unless you have money to burn and don't care.

10. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Those who claim "high quality" and durability are mutually exclusive, I don't know what you talking about.

I have RLPL, all have lasted me at least 5 years and still going strong. I don't baby them (warm wash in home washer and high heat setting on dryer)

11. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

I have a couple of Cucinelli polos in the slim fit.
    The quality is very high, the fabric is thick but slightly elasticated and very breathable.
    The stitching is fantastic and the MOP buttons are great too.

One of the polos even has a small placket and stiffened collar, almost a cross between a shirt and a polo.

I would highly recommend them.

12. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

I have Lacoste ('98 made in France), Smedley and Sunspel..All great quality. But IMO, best bang for your bucks, Kent Wang is my choice.

13. thatguymj

thatguymj Senior member

I hate wearing polo shirts and find that most fit horribly. I recently tried going the MTM route and had one made from a company called Vastrm that a local shop owner introduced me to. The slim fit version of their shirts fit great, are very nice quality, and you can customize many small details like the placket, the buttons, and the material. The price is reasonable as well.

14. rick07

rick07 Well-Known Member

I can only think of Lacoste with pearl buttons.

15. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

if you find the shirts you like. but they have plastic buttons?
    just buy the MOPs and sew them on.
    if its that important then its worth the effort..

16. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

Hello gents, We are a new affiliate member to the SF community and I was perusing the site on polo shirts and came across this somewhat dated string. Perhaps we can revive this discussion thread. We at VASTRM offer some of the highest end luxury style polo shirts around. We currently have been selling along side Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Kiton, etc... in high end boutiques here in the Bay Area. We also launched an online store that allows our customers to custom style their own unique flavor of shirt. You can select from a variety of trim types from placket accents to side vents to fits to collar and cuff construction. We will soon be offering complete custom sizing as well to ensure each individual shirt we make fits your unique body style. We like to think that polos can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion and season. And our 100% cotton knits are some the most durable fabrics around, resisting shrinking, pilling, and fading. Would love to get some of you folks to try us out. We had a really successful black friday promotion (see below ad) and will be launching our first holiday promotion next week. We can do some creative things if requested as well, such as long sleeve versions of any of our styles with one button cuff constructions. We can construct mandarin style collars. Most importantly, we can custom adjust sizing to fit any style preference or body type. And none of our shirts have any logos!

We also thought of creating a unique collection or style just for SF members. We can collaborate with the community on what styles might work. Ping us if you would like to participate. jtang@vastrm.com

Let us know what you think! We are eager to hear.

Jonathan

[​IMG]

17. SHS

SHS Senior member

Sounds great. Do you ship internationally?

18. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

I have worn RL, Lacoste, Kent Wang, and Olebar Brown. The OLs are the best in class - by a mile! If you can swallow spending $250 for a polo (and I say you should; spend whatever it takes and that you can afford to ave the best of whatever you wear), then get the OLs - now.

19. UniverseProject

UniverseProject Member

I personally like Vineyard Vines and Brooks Brothers. Cant go wrong.

20. comrade

comrade Senior member

For the money LL Bean mesh polos are excellent.
    In any case they fit me very well, better than Lacoste.