What is a good polo shirt brand. I need very high quality polos with real pearl buttons.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BullionBro, Aug 7, 2012.

1. BullionBro

BullionBro Well-Known Member

I dont care about the price. I just want very high quality luxurious polos that will last many years and look and feel great. They can cost little or very high and I dont care about the brand. I prefer for them not to show too much branding.

Thanks!

I lost weight and got to my goal weight so i am buying a whole wardrobe of clothing. I will start off with polos first.

Thanks gents!

2. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Sunspel Riviera polos are pretty good. Great quality, clean cut, but it has plastic buttons. Worth a try though, it's definitely a wardrobe staple.

3. BullionBro

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Kent Wang has MoP buttons.

5. BullionBro

Thanks I like the kent wang selection. Can anyone that owns one post a picture or let me know how the quality is?

6. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I have 4 Kent Wang polos and I like them a lot. You should be able to find plenty of reviews and some fit pics on google.

You might also want to check out a new line of polos just released by Epaulet: burgundy, red, navy. These have smoke MOP buttons and have really fine fabric. I got the burgundy one and I think it's great.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If you find something that works well for you but has plastic buttons, you could always switch out the buttons to thick MOPs. Many high-end shirts use them anyway, but it's a simple fix if that is the only deal breaker.

9. BullionBro

The three brands posted here are all very nice. Sunspel, Kent Wang and Epaulet. It makes it harder to choose which ones to buy. Maybe I should buy 1 of each? :)

Does anyone know a good place to buy mother of pearl buttons especially made for polo shirts?

10. HansderHund

I can't offer you a link, but I know I've seen it discussed on here before, so I'm sure someone can chime in with that info. When my shirts get worn out/frayed and can't be donated, I'll cut the buttons off to keep and then use the shirt for a rag. Maybe you have an old shirt that still has the buttons in good condition?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

are tasteless, imo.

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

MOPs, or just thick ones?

13. HansderHund

I've always preferred shell or mother of pearl buttons. It's honestly the first thing I look at when I'm shopping for shirts, but to each their own.

It wouldn't look inappropriate on a polo though, I don't think, because there are only 2-3 buttons and they're often thicker plastic anyway.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

thickness

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I have heard good things about Avon Celli regarding Polo shirts.

I do not buy into the whole "high end" Polo thing though (I have yet to find a big difference between a polo from a lower tier brand like Lacoste and a higher tier brand like Cucinelli or Loro Piana). I have found my Lacoste Polo's lasting fine, usually 2/3 years. I cannot see you getting much more mileage from a higher tier brand.

Unless you are going for one off designs, most solid colors or basic horizontal stripe / plaid patterns are available season after season for any particular brand.

I see little point in spending more than 100bucks on a Polo unless you find one with an unusual pattern that you must have whatever the cost.

I love MOP buttons but most people wear their Polos with all buttons undone or at the very least the top one / two button(s) undone. Correct me if I am wrong, is a Polo nothing else other than a tee shirt with a collar? If so, I am surprised people are looking for high end features on what is a very casual garment.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012