• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What headphones do you use?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering buying the B&W P3s. I like the compactness and the white color, seems good for travelling. I need to hear them side by side to the P5s.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Considering buying the B&W P3s. I like the compactness and the white color, seems good for travelling. I need to hear them side by side to the P5s.

you can do this at an apple store. i did that and kept switching between the two for about 30 minutes before deciding. i thought the P5's were just a bit better, and the construction was more substantial/aesthetics looked better for me, so i got those.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the groupthink on Monster beats. I tried them out in a store and was quite impressed but that was compared to the cheap stuff I have now.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's the groupthink on Monster beats. I tried them out in a store and was quite impressed but that was compared to the cheap stuff I have now.

If you are trying out for the NBA or any other sport which shows you wearing headphones while walking from the bus into the area, yes, they are perfect. If you want to listen to music, go with Sennheiser or Grado.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No. If you're using cheap **** pretty much anything will impress you

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are trying out for the NBA or any other sport which shows you wearing headphones while walking from the bus into the area, yes, they are perfect. If you want to listen to music, go with Sennheiser or Grado.

Would you consider the Grado Prestige SR80i better than the Monster beats by dr. dre studio? I know it's a 1/3 of the price.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're very different. The monster is very bass heavy. More boom bass than detailed quality bass. and the other ranges are kind of pitiful. It's meant to be kind of a dj in a club type of can not a faithful replication sit and enjoy type of can

I would much rather have a sr80

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They're very different. The monster is very bass heavy. More boom bass than detailed quality bass. and the other ranges are kind of pitiful. It's meant to be kind of a dj in a club type of can not a faithful replication sit and enjoy type of can
I would much rather have a sr80

+1

The SR80 is designed to be accurate and represent the signal more accurately.

The Monsters are meant to sound like one of those cars that drive by with music on way too loud and all you hear is that awful boom.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still using my ue super.fi eb's when not traveling. Best in ear phones ever made. I also have a pair of B&W c5s, which are close in sound quality, and a bit easier to travel with.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comments on Sennheiser HD-280 or Klipsch Image One? They are at a significant discount bringing them into my price range. Microphone is nice but not essential as they'll be going between my PC for gaming and iPod.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on the quality of the headphones other than I like the look of the Klipsch much more.

The comments section on the other hand; the Canadian amazon is more illiterate than any other I've come across!

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Comments on Sennheiser HD-280 or Klipsch Image One? They are at a significant discount bringing them into my price range. Microphone is nice but not essential as they'll be going between my PC for gaming and iPod.

HD280's are the flattest sounding headphones I have ever heard. Not bad per say because I'd rather have them than the bloated-bass offerings that are popular now, but they are defintely boring, lifeless, sterile.

Longmorn

Reaction score
I'd give the noise cancelling headphones a pass, and look at very high quality in-ear monitors instead. Two I've had excellent luck with are the Westone 4 and the Monster Pro Turbine Copper. The Westones had a slightly sweeter and more detailed mid-range, but the Monsters have better dynamics and are probably a touch more accurate. Both do a great job of blocking out noise - even masses of screaming children on long flights. Importantly, both come with a collection of different tips so you can find the pair that best fit your ear canal.

And just to preempt any comments about the Monsters being bass heavy - I can't speak to any of their other headphones or earphones, but the Pro Turbine Coppers aren't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads