1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What headphones do you use?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Daseinflaw, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

As I said in a previous post, Im getting some Senheiser HD555. I will mostly be playing music from my macbook pro-- should I get an external amp? If so, whats a decent one that won't cost tons?

2. supermidget

supermidget Senior member

you can pick up a external dac/amp combination. i love my nuforce udac2. it doesn't need external power either.

3. Riley Dee

Riley Dee Senior member

Those are sick!

For on the go I have the standard Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's and for at the house Sennheiser 595's

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

[​IMG]
    KOSS PortaPros, of course.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Grado SR 60 and 125s at home. Great sound but 125s (older model) aren't that comfortable for extended listening.
    Etymotic ER 4P - great for subway and gym.
    Audio Technica M50 - for studio and travel where I can't have a lot of leakage

Fred

6. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I am planning on buying a pair of Grados, since I don't own any full-size cans and a newer pair of Shures. That is, unless I can justify buying a pair of Westones. The Westone 1s are fairly affordable, but I'm not sure if they're that good.

7. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Do you think there will be a noticeable difference with a dec/amp with my HD555 from my macbook pro?
    Looking at either the uDac2 or the Fiio e7

8. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

If you do decide to get an amp, I'd take the e7 over the uDac2

9. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Any particular reason? That is also the route I'm thinking though, because I could get the e9 in addition for more power, if I needed it.

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

I have Grado SR80s for open and AKG K81DJ's for my closed.

My friend just got a pair of Dre Beats Turbines for $90 (apparently 50% off), and honestly they sound like shit. I thought they would sound decent just not worth the price, however upon hearing them with my own ears they barely sound better than the white Apple earbuds. My $30 Koss Plugs and JVC Marshmallows sound much better.

Can't believe so many people get fooled into buying them.

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Sony MDR-V6

The most widely used headphones by sound studios/ recording studios. Very popular for a reason, because for under $100 you get some good ass quality sound.

Edit: i'm not 100% if these really are the most widely used, but a few people have said that. I do know for a fact that most artists use these in their studios to record songs, and when movie studios use headphones during sound production or recording I often see them using these headphones.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  12. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Sure SE535 and ER4p (Etymotic Research)

13. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I don't have any actual hands-on experience, unfortunately. This is just based on what I've read online and through various reviews and such.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I have a pair of audio technica esw9s for proper listening and a fake pair for the gym

15. centrix

centrix Senior member

westone es5s for the win!

16. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

They really grew on me. I didn't like them at first.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I thought they were a little small at first. I find them pretty comfortable now although after several hours my glasses start to dig in

18. Naka

Naka Senior member

Some Audio Technica AD900's. BC2 never sounded better :D

19. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Grado SR60's for anything acoustic ( ~ $60 ) - These are amazing for guitar and piano, but are a little light on the bass. Not that comfy or well built.

Audiotechnica ATH-M50's for anything electronic / bass heavy (~ $120 ) - Super durable headphones. Mids are lacking though, and are kind of fatiguing. Kind of a guilty pleasure headphone.

MEElectronics M9 headphones while on the move ( ~ $15 ) - Nice sealing headphones with good highs and bass. Mids are completely lacking though - not a big fan of these.

Favorite headphones I've listened to are the AKG K 701's.

Not a fan of Sennheiser at all. (Have listened to the 555, 595, 650, and 800)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  20. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I'm extremely close to buying these cans. I just need to find a good price and I'm there.