1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Has Been the Worst Era for Men's Suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

has anyone mentioned 2013?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Wow, that's so bad it belongs over in the creepy images thread.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Now.

Or: they all were.

The 50s saw the popularistion of artificial fibres, and a pared-down economy look that was driven not by style but by economics.

The 60s continued that.

You were in Britain in the continuation of post war austerity. I visited London
    in 1961 and the average Londoner's clothes looked worn and dreadful,
    except in the posher precincts of the West End, etc where I saw the Savile
    Row styles that I had only seen in the movies. In the US, in contrast,
    the economy was booming. Men's clothing was the antithesis of a
    "pared-down economy look" For a certain expanding demographic the
    Ivy League style was sweeping the country. This style had largely been
    worn previously by graduates of elite Eastern Universities and the monied
    WASP classes. In the fifties it became the domiant style of the respectable
    middle classes. Even "Show-Biz" types wore flashier versions of the styles
    which originated in the Colleges and Clubs of the Eastern Seaboard.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Of course, formalwear must be mentioned...and in that case I am certain nothing can top the 70s as the worst era...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. GusW

Faded color photos of couples getting married with the guy in an all white polyester tuxedo decorate the tops of Admiral TV consoles across America. Ruffled shirts, of course.

7. GusW

8. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

That's making me rethink slanted pockets. I want nothing to do with that picture.

9. GusW

I think slanted pockets look great when you are in the UK. But when you get back to the US they just don't quite fit in IMO.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

[​IMG]

11. GusW

12. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Hacking (or riding) pockets can be stylish and look great if done tastefully (e.g. no contrasting piping or other nonsense) on a well tailored suit or sports coat. That the 70's was a dreadful era of fashion excess should not deter someone from a small, and otherwise elegant, styling detail.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A few years back, I'd have said the '70s--hands down! These days, I think the present-day suits (the fashionable ones, anyway) are definitely the worst. At least the '70s stuff fit reasonably well. These contemporary abominations all look as if they were shoplifted from the boys' department. They flout all canons of proper tailoring by having the quarters bi-secting the wearer's fly and ass. The only "men " they are really suitable for are anorexic teenagers.

As to the question of hacking pockets, I like them on my tweed jackets, but I have always felt they were somewhat "off" on conservative business suits--just too equestrian, but then I suppose most classic menswear has been heavily influenced in its development by horseback riding--from the tailcoat on down.

Looking at the presidential portrait of Gerald Ford posted earlier, it struck me as a little odd that he's wearing a Balliol College tie! One of my very closest friends is a relative of his.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  14. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Good fellows, my comment on hacking pockets was merely meant in jest.

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Now.

My first suit was from Roger David, a cheap Australian suit OTR suit shop for my formal in 2008. It wasn't great (70/30 wool/poly blend, fused, heavy shoulder padding) but it wasn't inherently bad either - it gave me a slim fit i needed without looking like a spiv for formal occasions.

[​IMG]

This is how all menswear has gone in Australia. I get the smaller lapels work for the gawky pin head teenager, but for everyone else it just looks bad.

Penis shoes, tiny collared shirts which never come in a plain weave, skinny ass ties with designs meant for a space movie...

You can tell the designers just don't get sartorialism, are focused on the woman's range and just cobble together menswear based in whatever they see in GQ.

Of course there is a counter culture to all this, but unless you're ordering off the internet or going to the 1-2 stores run out of capital cities you're not going to see it.

16. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

While I share your disdain for an outfit such as that exemplified by the picture, I stand by my previous contentions that:

A - in the world in which I live I seldom if ever see that in the wild (and I travel all over the US regularly on business), and therefore ...
    B - nothing, not even that, is anywhere near as bad as those seventies pictures shown upthread.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yeah, but nearly all the 70s pix shown are of wedding or prom costumes. (I won't dignify them by calling them "tuxedoes.") The suits and sportcoats had wide lapels but they were nothing like those ridiculous getups. Quite of lot of today's rental finery for weddings is pretty bad too.

18. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

The worst era for suits has to be the recent "Skinny suit" period we are hopefully emerging out of.[​IMG]

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The conspicuously tight look is hardly a new thing.

The actor George Raft was famous for his ultra-fitted suits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i really like the lower pic, and yes he apparently liked his suits " fitted".
    what i mean is the recent hipster style skinny suits like this below.
    [​IMG]
    and ankle high pants, loafers, no socks. just an awful trend. anyway, stylish people don't wear "fashion"..
    followers wear fashion. haha, see the guy taking self shots to post on facebook!! " i look awesome" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013