• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happens when something bought online comes with security tags?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I purchased some Stussy BDU's and Trovota linen shorts from an accquaintance overseas.

However both items came with security tags still attached. Is there anyway I can get rid of this?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HAH! Uh... where did he get them?

You could make friends with someone at a store with one of the remover machines, and take them there...

Or just wear them with the security tags. It's all the rage now.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really hope it's not stolen, as it would severely destroy my trust in him.

Well I'll try the machines at work on Saturday.

Dangydang

Reaction score
That happened to me once with a pair of Sambas I bought off of ebay. Luckily it wasn't the ink kind, so I just pounded it off with a hammer.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always buy a detacher or ask someone you know who has one. I don't advise tearing apart the tag if at all possible. Even the non ink kind are designed to severaly damage whatever they're attached to if removed by force.

What kind of tags are they?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I worked at a department store, we would have people bring lighters into the dressing room and melt the backs off (they were not the ink kind). These people were idiots though, so I wouldn't take any cues from them. I do know if they are the non-ink kind you can sometimes just pull them off, depending on how well the salesperson attached them.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Or just wear them with the security tags. It's all the rage now.
Oh yea j I feel ya, the "I'm so hard I steal" look.

Arethusa, they look like those magnetic tags with a metal strip at the bottom so that the machine is able to latch on and pull it apart.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
When I worked at a department store, we would have people bring lighters into the dressing room and melt the backs off (they were not the ink kind). These people were idiots though, so I wouldn't take any cues from them. I do know if they are the non-ink kind you can sometimes just pull them off, depending on how well the salesperson attached them.
Those people are idiots. These tags are well enough designed that you absolutely should not try and remove these tags improperly unless the garment is really rather tough and you have time and proper tools. I don't recommend it. Flame: there are several kinds. Gator
ultragator2zg.gif
Supertag
supertag2colors4jb.gif
Checkpoint
minihardtags1yu.gif
Knogo
knogominisatellite2it.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I really hope it's not stolen, as it would severely destroy my trust in him.
dozingoff.gif

Take it that way, I don't know how you could still have security tags attached to something which was not stolen.

!luc

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
a strong magnet

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
a strong magnet
That only works for the last two pictured. Luc: they do forget to remove them sometimes. Last year, I bought a shirt at Express and got home before I realized it still had the tag on it. Never went off, either. Ok, both items, that's a bit less probably, but not impossible. What I don't get is why Flame cares— beyond the immediate problem of having to remove them, anyway.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aretheusa, tags are Knogos.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
That only works for the last two pictured. Luc: they do forget to remove them sometimes. Last year, I bought a shirt at Express and got home before I realized it still had the tag on it. Never went off, either. Ok, both items, that's a bit less probably, but not impossible. What I don't get is why Flame cares— beyond the immediate problem of having to remove them, anyway.
fencing.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to wear them, and it would look stupid with the tags hanging from my crotch. My only concern is to remove them, and be careful when dealing with the seller again next time.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flame, find a decently large magnet and just stick the tag up to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads