• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what happens if you don't pay a ticket in california?

jase12

Reaction score
ok so i got a ticket for jaywalking last night. it says i need to go down to the court house which is ages out of my way. i'm only going to be in the country for 6 weeks or so, what happens if i just leave it? i do need to come back to california in about 8 months

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why can't you just pay the fine by mail? or online?

In DC, I got a ticket for the same thing and after a month got a letter in the mail saying my driving priveleges in the city would be suspended if I didn't pay. So I paid the fee (which was doubled).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship.

Generally, if you don't pay a ticket and don't show up in court, a warrant is issued for your arrest.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
listen up, furriner.

you comes to our country, you plays by our rules. you follow me?

the law

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
listen up, furriner.

you comes to our country, you plays by our rules. you follow me?

LOL!

But seriously, you did the crime, you do the time. Just pay it.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the law
LOL!

But seriously, you did the crime, you do the time. Just pay it.

He was JAYWALKING!!!!!!!!!

WTF MAN!?!?!?! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!? I thought that was a joke, lol

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
ok so i got a ticket for jaywalking last night. it says i need to go down to the court house which is ages out of my way. i'm only going to be in the country for 6 weeks or so, what happens if i just leave it? i do need to come back to california in about 8 months

Wait, are you a resident/citizen of US or California?

Why don't you protest the ticket via mail. It will prolong the process (and you might be off the hook) without incurring additional charges.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship. Generally, if you don't pay a ticket and don't show up in court, a warrant is issued for your arrest.
A lot of jurisdictions just suspend your right to operate. A lot of times it just says on the ticket. Whoops- didn't see the jaywalking thing. Don't get arrested Moran. Pay the ticket-- beg, steal, or borrow.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the OP has or will need to register a car, pay taxes, etc. in CA (before the slate is wiped - whatever that's called, and I don't know how long it would take in that state), I would ignore the ticket. Similarly to how if I were to receive a ticket for speeding in TN tomorrow, in my own car, not registered in that state, and not intending to go back, I would not pay. Unless TN is a bond state. In which case I would be forced to.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
A lot of jurisdictions just suspend your right to operate. A lot of times it just says on the ticket.

No one will suspend your right to walk if you fail to pay a jaywalking ticket. And you typically don't need a license to walk.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
No one will suspend your right to walk if you fail to pay a jaywalking ticket. And you typically don't need a license to walk.

Not to nitpick, but if they throw you in jail, they are basically suspending your right to walk the streets.
teacha.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship.

Same admonition.

But I will point out that in CA, the court does not just issue bench warrants, but also levies civil penalties that attach to failures to appear. This can add hundreds of dollars to the base fine for the jaywalking infraction.

There is also a possibility that if the clerk issues a summons for failure to appear, and you fail to appear for that second hearing, you will owe additional penalties for failure to appear on the failure to appear. With the State of CA being nearly bankrupt, I suspect they will use the civil penalty provisions as aggressively as possible, and argue that there is no double jeopardy problem if they keep tacking them on as many times as you fail to appear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads