• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What happened to women and stockings?

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Whatever happened to women wearing stockings?

You look at most women today.. and for the most part, they're throwing down the bare leg look. Especially at this time of the year where you can see a woman sporting a very elegant dress, Manolos and then... these pasty white legs looking like lighthouse beacons in the night!

Yes, I know the "hollywood" look for those who follow Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton and ding dongs of that ilk is to go without... and yes, women have universally said that most pantyhose are relatively uncomfortable (ironic since they will jam their toes in pointy toed shoes used mostly by the Chinese to torture political prisoners)..

But, good Lord, a sleek, pair of sheer thigh highs, or.. the hint of a garter belt as she sits down, accentuates the leg and results in a more sophisticated, refined look.

Am I alone in thinking this?

bullethead

Reaction score
I'm with the OP. if i see just an average woman on the street with stockings and pumps, i usually take a second look.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
I'm with the OP. if i see just an average woman on the street with stockings and pumps, i usually take a second look.

+1 Stockings are one of those details that makes me wonder what else is going on under her clothes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
Whatever happened to women wearing stockings?

You look at most women today.. and for the most part, they're throwing down the bare leg look. Especially at this time of the year where you can see a woman sporting a very elegant dress, Manolos and then... these pasty white legs looking like lighthouse beacons in the night!

Yes, I know the "hollywood" look for those who follow Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton and ding dongs of that ilk is to go without... and yes, women have universally said that most pantyhose are relatively uncomfortable (ironic since they will jam their toes in pointy toed shoes used mostly by the Chinese to torture political prisoners)..

But, good Lord, a sleek, pair of sheer thigh highs, or.. the hint of a garter belt as she sits down, accentuates the leg and results in a more sophisticated, refined look.

Am I alone in thinking this?

There's your problem. Expand your horizon and try the non-white varieties. You don't know what you are missing

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
There's your problem. Expand your horizon and try the non-white varieties. You don't know what you are missing

+1 Maybe not full on jungle beaver fever but try non-Scandinavian types at least.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pantyhose "tops" are as ugly as old lady underwear.

I too miss stockings and garters.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.