• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Happened to the Classic Navy Blue Blazer with Gold Buttons ?

Thomson

Reaction score
I am in the process of having one made with brass buttons - for Fridays at the office (which is still fairly formal).

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite gold buttons, but the Brooks Brothers 200th anniversary blazer has somewhat subdued brass(?) buttons with black enamel. Looks-wise, sort of a middle ground between gold buttons and horn buttons.

Brooks-Brothers-200th-anniversary-blazer-1.jpg

Brooks-Brothers-200th-anniversary-blazer-2.jpg

Appears to still be available:

EdT

Reaction score
Not quite gold buttons, but the Brooks Brothers 200th anniversary blazer has somewhat subdued brass(?) buttons with black enamel. Looks-wise, sort of a middle ground between gold buttons and horn buttons.

View attachment 1194951

View attachment 1194952

Brooks basically has three category of builds for it's blazers and suits:
Regent : Slim cut with padded shoulders
Fiztgerald: A hybrid cut between the Regent and Madison, less slim with less shoulder padding than Regent cut
Madison: The traditional natural shoulder drape with a more relax cut that is synonymous with Brooks Brothers

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks basically has three category of builds for it's blazers and suits:
Regent : Slim cut with padded shoulders
Fiztgerald: A hybrid cut between the Regent and Madison, less slim with less shoulder padding than Regent cut
Madison: The traditional natural shoulder drape with a more relax cut that is synonymous with Brooks Brothers

I think they retired the Fitzgerald cut a few years ago.

From their website:

Milano: Slim and tailored through the chest, body and sleeves.

Regent: Fitted through the chest, body and sleeves.

Madison: Relaxed through the chest, body and sleeves.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Anglo-Italian recently added gold buttons to their website and the guys wear wearing navy jackets with gold buttons at Pitti.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

From their website:

They actually retired these models a few years ago too. From their current website:

Mafioso: Slim and tailored through the chest, body and sleeves.

Union Leader: Fitted through the chest, body and sleeves.

Preppy/ Clean cut: Relaxed through the chest, body and sleeves.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is happening in this thread? Are there stipulations going on that double vent is old fashioned and/or of all things mafia related?

Is this a defense of the sacque suit? Confused.

EdT

Reaction score

From their website:

From their website they still have the Fitzgerald cut.

From what I previously understand is that their Golden Fleece (@$1700 range) is the their high end series,1818 (@$1000 range) mid-level series and BrookEase (@$500 range) was their bottom level series with all three series offering different cuts such as Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald and Milano cuts. The 346 series was made for their outlet stores. What is missing now is their BrookEase maybe the BrooksGate, Red Fleece and BrooksCool are the new fill ins for their entry level series ? :puzzled:

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love mine.

99ef9022-4991-416f-b741-a744381d6f1b-jpeg.1192604
Sharp! A lot of "they" do say lately that the g-b blazer is "out of date" but when I see that, my reaction is, "No, way!". I think especially because it's form-fitting tailoring is so current. Nicely done.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1194951

View attachment 1194952

Nothing to do with the buttons or blazer which are both lovely but that collar and skinny knot just aren't right, imho.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From their website they still have the Fitzgerald cut.

From what I previously understand is that their Golden Fleece (@$1700 range) is the their high end series,1818 (@$1000 range) mid-level series and BrookEase (@$500 range) was their bottom level series with all three series offering different cuts such as Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald and Milano cuts. The 346 series was made for their outlet stores. What is missing now is their BrookEase maybe the BrooksGate, Red Fleece and BrooksCool are the new fill ins for their entry level series ? :puzzled:
BrooksCool, as it implies, is made for warm weather wear. BrooksGate is sold as separates and does in total come in at a price point below 1818, so is the current equivalent to BrooksEase. And Red Fleece targets a younger (and slimmer) audience with current takes on "preppy" fashion. Some stores now are only Red Fleece. Though I did purchase a regular fit fleece pullover and my first pair of chinos in Clark fit at one of those stores. About the only two things there I could actually fit into! lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdT

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold buttons are kind of tacky IMO. Not something I would judge someone for but definitely not something I would go out of my way for.

EdT

Reaction score
Gold buttons are kind of tacky IMO. Not something I would judge someone for but definitely not something I would go out of my way for.

Metal buttons is the DNA of a blazer or else it just an orphaned suit jacket, sure fashion fads will deny gold buttons over a short period, but it will come full circle again as classics is not mere fashion, but timeless styling. Known my share of people buying vent less suits and jackets based on fads only to be kicking themselves now on the money wasted and donations to their local thrift store ...LoL

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharp! A lot of "they" do say lately that the g-b blazer is "out of date" but when I see that, my reaction is, "No, way!". I think especially because it's form-fitting tailoring is so current. Nicely done.

I'm going to harvest the buttons off this one and then source a purple label navy sportcoat to attach them too. That line fits me better than Polo does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads