1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to my Jantzen MOP buttons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fox81, Jun 28, 2009.

1. fox81

fox81 Senior member

My first Jantzen arrived on Friday, so I have run it through the wash ready to iron and try on properly, and stragely most of the MOP buttons have brown burn/scuff marks.

I have other shirts with equally thick MOP buttons, one was even washed in the same load, and nothing like this has ever happened before. The buttons were perfect when the shirt arrived, but they have been damaed in the wash somehow. It certainly wasn't tumble dried and the spin cycle is set to 800 i believe.

See the pictures and discuss.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

Are you sure it isn't just the back of the button naturally being that way to begin with? It is from shell after all. Im guessing from the price, that they don't exactly select the most premium shells to make the buttons from and some are left with part of the outside that isn't totally nacreous in appearance. Some of my Jantzen buttons have a bit of brown on the backside.

3. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help you with the button issue (I've never had a MOP button change colors like that in the wash/dry), but what fabric is that shirt? It looks really nice....

4. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

5. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

That is normal.

Nope, its very NOTnormal to be stressed about back of button color after wash....

Regards.

6. soaped

soaped Senior member

That is normal for Jantzen shirts. Some of their thicker MOP buttons are not finished in the rear so they are thicker.

7. jc138

jc138 Senior member

That is normal for Jantzen shirts. Some of their thicker MOP buttons are not finished in the rear so they are thicker.
    +1 (It adds character.)

8. fox81

fox81 Senior member

OK, just to clarify, the buttons were fine and clean when the shirt first arrived. Only after the wash have they taken on that brown finish on the back.

What buttons do people usually choose for their Jantzens? I might try the trocas next time.

The fabric is 8104, a white oxford. It looked pretty cheap out of the packet but after a wash it has come up ok.

9. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I have both trocas and MOP. I have not had any of my buttons have marks like those after washing.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

You probably did not notice the buttons the first time around.
    It is just cut slightly into the shell. it is normal as Steven pointed out!

11. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

You probably did not notice the buttons the first time around.
    It is just cut slightly into the shell. it is normal as Steven pointed out!

This.

12. fox81

fox81 Senior member

are you calling me a liar?

13. axe

axe Senior member

Maybe they came from the factory with white paint on them to hide any imperfections, and the paint came off in the wash. [​IMG]

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

That must be it.

15. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

What are you, 12? [​IMG]

We, or at least I were simply stating that what we see here is very common for Jantzen buttons and is also very easy to miss during the initial inspection of the shirt. If you did inspect it that carefully I suppose it's possible that the shell material reacted with something in the wash or due to the heat of the dryer (if you used one) but this still looks like the shell material.

FWIW, most of my buttons are much 'worse' than that.

16. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

You are a liar.

17. TEPLimey

TEPLimey Well-Known Member

Like any shellfish, pearls used in your MOP buttons can go bad if not cared for properly. Since you (apparently) were careless with your iron, the pearls got overdone.

Write this up as a life lesson and toss the shirt.

When you next order a shirt with MOP buttons, for your first wash remember to steam it until cooked properly and add a spritz of lemon to the buttons.

18. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Plus one to all that say this was there from the start. I have a few Jantzen shirts where I asked for their thick MOP buttons and that's exactly what I have, and most much worse. Jantzen's buttons are cheap pieces of crap, and I've learned not to order those thick ones ever again. They don't feel nice, they are hard to get through the buttonholes, they don't look particularly good from the front, and they look like yours in back. They're shit.

The only thing I might say is that it is possible Jantzen's supplier has been touching them up with some kind of paint to make it less obvious, and now you're seeing it more dramatically, but that would be a new thing. I bought Jantzen shirts, in person, 8 months ago, and that's just how my buttons looked out of the box. Chinese manufacturers can pull all kinds of tricks. You know, like putting chemicals in milk to boost calcium numbers.

19. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

My shirt had that out of the bag. I kinda like it, you can tell its natural.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the unfinsihed backs were more common back when MOP buttons were more popular than they are today.

I don't have a problem with it--I think the Jantzen buttons are pretty darn nice for the $3 they charge for them.