• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gym should I join?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
okie dokie, since I have basically resigned myself to joining one of those god awful hellholes the world knows as gyms, I have a decision to make.

Option A: New place opened right opposite my apartment. $50 a month. It has yoga and stuff that I wont go to. All is new, equipment looks ok. Proximity its only real selling point.

Option B: My friends get preferential rates of $45 a month at a similarly equipped gym, but a place that also has a squash court and a pool that I probably will use.

The downside - its in town (near my office) - but that means I have to lug gear around etc, as opposed to duck downstairs and come right home for a shower. Other downside - I cant join til January there, since my friends have to register new members at that rate quarterly.

So which would you guys choose, given that the money is more or less the same. Would you go for proximity or facilities?

- Matt

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Use A until B opens up.
2. Join both and have the best situation.

If you think gyms are hell holes you should join soon, before you talk yourself out of it.
smile.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proximity means ease of use, which means fewer excuses not to use.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it! You'll be excited for about a month and then you'll wish you never joined the hell hole!

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
okie dokie, since I have basically resigned myself to joining one of those god awful hellholes the world knows as gyms, I have a decision to make.

Option A: New place opened right opposite my apartment. $50 a month. It has yoga and stuff that I wont go to. All is new, equipment looks ok. Proximity its only real selling point.

Option B: My friends get preferential rates of $45 a month at a similarly equipped gym, but a place that also has a squash court and a pool that I probably will use.

The downside - its in town (near my office) - but that means I have to lug gear around etc, as opposed to duck downstairs and come right home for a shower. Other downside - I cant join til January there, since my friends have to register new members at that rate quarterly.

So which would you guys choose, given that the money is more or less the same. Would you go for proximity or facilities?

- Matt

During my time in NYC I have both situations at different times and found I absolutely used the gym near work versus near home. It gave me a nice break and I worked it into my regular schedule. The one near home I always found an excuse not to use, depends alot on your personallity I suppose.

I vote for the one near work.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Every time you feel like going to the gym, eat a Big Mac meal, supersized, and then smoke a cigarette. For dessert? 40oz Malt Liquor.

Soon going to the gym will seem like a distant memory. The only thought roaming through your wasteland of a mind is; when are they going to be opening a Wal-Mart in vietnam, and how sexy Rosanne Barr is.

Enjoy!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
this is the one closer to my office : http://www.thelandmarkvietnam.com/landmark_club.html it would basically amount to a private club membership (or so I am told) for just 45 a month - this is pretty damn cheap. I know the PR manager there, and since my mates already go, Im leaning that way - altho SF wisdom appears to be telling me otherwise.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Make sure you visit the gym you are interested in first when it would be really busy (i.e., Monday at 6:30 p.m.). See how crowded it is. Also, check out the bathrooms and locker facilities, i.e., how big and clean they are. Don't agree to any long term contracts and don't pay up front for a year or so - a lot of gyms go out of business. Pay month to month.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
this is the one closer to my office :

http://www.thelandmarkvietnam.com/landmark_club.html

it would basically amount to a private club membership (or so I am told) for just 45 a month - this is pretty damn cheap. I know the PR manager there, and since my mates already go, Im leaning that way - altho SF wisdom appears to be telling me otherwise.

Not quite a hellhole.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
this is the one closer to my office :

http://www.thelandmarkvietnam.com/landmark_club.html

it would basically amount to a private club membership (or so I am told) for just 45 a month - this is pretty damn cheap. I know the PR manager there, and since my mates already go, Im leaning that way - altho SF wisdom appears to be telling me otherwise.

This is so cool - why is it even a question?!

ted

Reaction score
Does the one near work have a laundry service? If they do you don't have to lug your clothes around, just leave them there and get them washed when they need it. Laundry service usually isn't that expensive. I think my gym charges 5 bucks a month. A deal because then I never have to pack or carry anything - I just go.

carlhuber

Reaction score
If you don't like gyms, then check out the closer one first as mentioned above. It'll be too easy to quit a gym that's far away. Once you're hooked on working out (you'll feel so much better) then you can check out the other place and see how much you like it.

AdamG

Reaction score
Which ever one has the most squat racks.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
well i just signed up and had my first workout at the one opposite my house. Theyve built themselves a nice little business there - was about 10 - 12 people in there - which is about half full - pretty damn good for a place of its size that is a couple of weeks old. The trainer was pretty good, helpful. Told him I want to burn off some gutfat, and then just put on some extra muscle all round. He treated me like a beginner - which I am not really, but I am way out of practise - and kept me on very light weights. I did 20 mins on treadmill at a jogging speed for 10 and running speed for 10 (including a last minute sprint). Bench press - reasonably light weights and 12 reps first 3 sets, heavier weight and 8 reps last set. Same on incline bench. Same on shoulder press machine. Then standing barbell bicep curls. Two different types of seated dumbbell curls. I went heavier than he wanted me to here - but I have always had strong, fast growing arms. Abs after this - and I felt a sharp twinge in my hip that worried me a little here. Language barrier kicked in and I think he thought I was overexerting - I wasnt - but the hip was killing me on the incline crunches he wanted me to do. 10 mins more on treadmill and I was done. About an hour, hour and a quarter in total. Gonna be sore as hell in the morning. Now, where did I put those Pringles?

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

- Matt

no brainer -- it's A.

the more convenient, the more you'll go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads