• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gym do you go to?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What gym does everyone go to? I'm making the switch from home gym to actual gym and was wondering what gyms people recommend, but even if your gym's not a chain, I thought it would be interesting to see what gyms people go to. If your place is not a chain but you don't want to say the name just put "local independent gym" or something like that.

There's a SCNY pretty close to where I work, so I'm probably going to end up going there as long as they have a squat rack and allow deadlifting. However, there's also a Gold's Gym and a couple of other places that are doable for me.

EDIT: Sorry if my posts aren't making 100% sense...it's the pain killers talking.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do most of my lifting in a local boxing gym and do carido type work at my Universities gym.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lifting at my university gym. Since I'm paying for it, might as well. Before this, I used to work out at a local gym in Boston. If there wasn't anything else available, I'd use Gold's Gym.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'm lifting at my university gym. Since I'm paying for it, might as well. Before this, I used to work out at a local gym in Boston. If there wasn't anything else available, I'd use Gold's Gym.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering Gold's. The thing is that SCNY would probably be more convenient because it's right next to my office; but, I'm afraid that I'm going to be paying for a bunch of **** there that I'm never going to use.

mizanation

Reaction score
i lift at the new york health and racquet club.

i get a big discount from work, otherwise i wouldn't pay their expensive fees.

it's nice, clean and has a lot of features that NYSC doesn't have. like a yacht.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is a liefestyle fitness near me - basically the god of gyms: 4 full basketball courts, 100 tread mills, a climing wall, indooor and outdoor pools with slides, a whole bunch of machines, and a very good weight room -3 squat racks, a baby sitting room that my son loves. 24/7. 114 bucks a month, family membership, which is 20 bucks more than I was paying for a Y back in ny.

I joined this mostly for my family, but it is great knowing that I can go to the weight room and never wait, or go at strange hours. also, leaving my son in the playroom while I work is great.

aside from that, a small boxing gym near my house. it is worth the extra bit to have a more old school gym available, about 5 minutes away. I basically think closer is better, as long as it has a squat rack.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I lift at the YMCA.

They've got everything I need to workout, programs for my kids and I feel good because the money goes to support programs that help people in the community.

Plus - I'm the Board Chair of one of the local Y branches
bigstar[1].gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually exercise where I'm living. If I couldn't do that I'd look for a local club instead of a dedicated gym. In the US, I've tried the Sports Clubs (NY, Boston, Philly), the Sports Club LA, and 24 hour Fitness, and have always found it annoying that the provenance of the other members was suspect.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
...and have always found it annoying that the provenance of the other members was suspect.

huh?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Xclusive.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My job is at the university gym so I have a free membership there. I want to sign up to a kickboxing gym but don't have the funds for it.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a member of my local YMCA but I joined primarily so I could take my daughter to swimming lessons there. I typically work out with freeweights and my treadmill in the basement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics