1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What goes with "olive"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SartorialSlackr, May 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I wouldn't wear it top to bottom, but olive is a great color.

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I concur that olive is a great colour. I accidentally realized that my olive slacks go great with a light grey SC that I have.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  3. apropos

apropos Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

FIFY.

If one wanted to see a genuine creep see this goon.

[​IMG]
    Gareth surpassed Dwight. The 'Mercan audience wasn't ready for "Gareth"-type character because it mocked the military - specifically the Territorial Army, which is equivalent to 'Mercan National Guard.

Neither Dwight nor Gareth looked okay in olive.

5. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it would've been SF approved. The haircut really lifts the outfit to a whole new level.

6. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Appreciate the replies ... you guys are very helpful, and love your sense of humor!

Enjoy your weekend.

:)

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Please don't wear olive pants with an olive colored shirt.

With olive pants I suggest a blue shirt. (not tan, olive, gold or white) For a jacket choose a true khaki color or brown with some texture or pattern.

8. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Thanks!

I have that color jacket now, so I'm set.

And I'll be wearing olive sox (OTC Gold Toe) to go with that.

9. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

I you plan on wearing olive pants and shirt, you should stick to olive as the color for the jacket. And don't forget your helmet and rifle.

If you plan on wearing them seperately, I'd suggest something in the red family.
    But be careful, you wouldn't want to look like a christmas tree.

earth tones should be the safer bet for the jacket.

for the shirt, I can't imagine any indoor approved outfit without a rifle over the shoulder and a dead rabbit in the hand.

edit:
    ah, you have it. fine :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Khaki, brown, black, gray. Navy too, if the tones are right. Burgundy pairs very well when you're talking ties. Can be worn with either black or brown shoes.

Olive is actually really versatile if you know how to use it. It works with just about everything navy will, except that it plays nice with black. I probably wear my olive khakis more than my khaki ones.

Just please, don't pair olive pants with an olive shirt. For that matter, you shouldn't do that with any color.

11. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Not to worry.

Think I have the correct match so far.
    And the only thing I have in "red" are tights, but that's a story for another time. LOL
    Thanks for your input. :)

12. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Thanks for your feedback.

13. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Thanks for yor feedback. :)

14. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

15. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Unless he's the dictator of Cuba, or something, in which case, olive on olive conveys a very militaresque look that will instill confidence in La Revolucion amongst the proletariat.

In all seriousness, the success of olive really depends on the right use of contrasts. An outfit comprising a bunch of similarly toned olives, taupes, browns, tans, and yellows will buy its wearer a one-way ticket to Schrute Farms. On the other hand, olive counterbalanced by lighter, brighter, paler colors can work wonders. Try lightening up an olive linen suit with some pastel shirts in pink, light lavender, pale blue, etc., for a great summer look.

I own the RLBL olive linen suit pictured on Sr. Figueras in the aforementioned Ralph Lauren ad. While I fall a tad bit short of his handsomeness and physique, and I lack his Latin dreaminess, I have pulled off the suit very successfully at summer weddings and garden parties. Last time I paired it with a pale blue shirt and midnight blue grenadine tie. Have also rocked it with a pale lavender shirt with white contrast collar and deep blue, micropaisley tie. Will be hitting up an outdoor wedding in the dead of central CA summer in the coming weeks, where I plan to pair it with a pink shirt and woven navy tie. Or maybe a pale aquamarine RLBL shirt with black knit tie and a madras pocket square that picks up a hint of the aqua.

The possibilities are out there, and many of them are wonderfully dandified in that very quintessentially spring/summer way. I've found that the trick to olive is livening it up, not drabbing it down.

16. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

However, since the OP states quite plainly that this will be an autumn/winter voyage the light colors of summer will not do. With olive slacks . . . a maroon coat would look good. Depending on the individual's own coloration a shirt in ice yellow if you are dark or grey haired or in a gold tint if you tend toward blond. And a dark blue tie, methinks.

Personally, I would put the olive in the coat and go with grey slacks. Then just about any shirt except more olive would look good. And you tie choice would be broader. And definitely burgundy shoes!

17. aizan

aizan Senior member

for the jacket, i'm thinking camel or any medium to dark warm brown.

consider wearing a solid cream or aqua colored shirt instead of olive, or patterned shirts with brighter colors if you're into that sort of thing.

18. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Camel would be good and possibly a pink shirt.