• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what goes with B&W nailhead?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably headed back overseas for a while to bump up the savings and spending $$, thinking about getting one more business suit. I've always wanted a nailhead suit, but not sure what I'd wear with it (certainly a black grenadine tie, white shirt, and white tv fold cotton square would be great, but can't ALWAYS wear it that way).

So, what suggestions do you gents have for a suit like this first one, as far as shirts and ties? I'd like this to be a fairly versatile suit in the 'ol wardrobe; I figure the second cloth is a little too dark?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the darker swatch more. I imagine you could wear it just like any other grey.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FWIW, that's birdseye, not nailhead.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
FWIW, that's birdseye, not nailhead.
What is nailhead then? I had assumed that the two are used interchangeably.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Birdseye, the pattern is perfectly round, nailhead, the pattern is irregular, not round sort of jagged looking.

I have the lighter birdseye double breasted and the darker birdseye SB, three button with peak lapels.

Both suits are very versatile. Accessorizing is easy.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nailhead has smaller, more defined dots. Like this:
DSC00899_2.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought naihead was smaller in scale-- of course, these are both magnified closeups of the cloth.

yeah, I thought about the darker one too-- but damn, that would make it just like the rest of my grey suits, all on the medium to darker side.

If I don't go with a nailhead, I'll prob end up with a grey sharkskin, kinda on the boring side but definitely easy to coord and still in the 'lighter grey' category I think I might be lookin for:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
I always thought naihead was smaller in scale-- of course, these are both magnified closeups of the cloth.

yeah, I thought about the darker one too-- but damn, that would make it just like the rest of my grey suits, all on the medium to darker side.

If I don't go with a nailhead, I'll prob end up with a grey sharkskin, kinda on the boring side but definitely easy to coord and still in the 'lighter grey' category I think I might be lookin for:

I love sharkskin and like nailhead. I do not like birdsey all that much, but some look good. The sharkskin pictured is the same as my favorite suit. Great stuff.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Nailhead has smaller, more defined dots. Like this:
DSC00899_2.jpg

This looks like a pindot.

I don't think sharkskin is boring. It's dressier than the birdseye.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
What is nailhead then? I had assumed that the two are used interchangeably.

It's confusing because the two are used interchangeably. it's a bit like "Sae Island" cotton, weve gotten to the point where no one knows exactly what it is or what your reward is once you figure it out.
tounge.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It's confusing because the two are used interchangeably. it's a bit like "Sae Island" cotton, weve gotten to the point where no one knows exactly what it is or what your reward is once you figure it out.
tounge.gif

Maybe they are used interchangeably, but only by people who don't know what they are talking about. Some of us do know what the difference is, and our reward is simply not to be ignorant.

This is nailhead:

dscn24556lfts0.jpg

gherrmann

Reaction score
Maybe they are used interchangeably, but only by people who don't know what they are talking about.

I have more trouble distinguishing nailhead from pindot than from birdseye. is the difference between the former pair to do with the size of the dots on the ground, the shape of them (the dots in a nailhead sometimes seem to be almost triangular in shape), both, something else?

isn't birdseye just the basically just a wool, suiting equivalent of pique?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gherrmann
I have more trouble distinguishing nailhead from pindot than from birdseye. is the difference between the former pair to do with the size of the dots on the ground, the shape of them (the dots in a nailhead sometimes seem to be almost triangular in shape), both, something else?

Well, I think Despos and I may have different ideas of what pin dot is. The cloth above that he called pin dot, I would call a nailhead. To me, pin dot is arranged like a nailhead (dots on the horizontal/vertical rather than on the diagonal) but the dots are spaced out much more. Nailhead from a distance blends together and looks almost solid. Pin dot is more distinctively dotted, even from a distance.

isn't birdseye just the basically just a wool, suiting equivalent of pique?
No, pique is a jacquard.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . .To me, pin dot is arranged like a nailhead (dots on the horizontal/vertical rather than on the diagonal) but the dots are spaced out much more. . ..
I am wearing this right now. I would call it a pin dot or a nailhead but not birdseye. Pin dot seems more precise and accurate to me, whatever the convention.
dsc00654tl8.jpg
Somehow, the white spots seem much smaller in real life than they appear in the photo (I would think it a different cloth if I didn't take the picture myself) - perhaps the flash magnifies them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics