• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what goes with B&W nailhead?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ Well, I would call that a nailhead, not a pindot. I don't see pindots much. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are in the Lesser 13 book.

Beaman had a suit of it, and he posted pics of himself in it a few times. It's a striking looking cloth. Nailhead does not turn heads, but pindot can.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^^ Well, I would call that a nailhead, not a pindot. I don't see pindots much. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are in the Lesser 13 book.

Beaman had a suit of it, and he posted pics of himself in it a few times. It's a striking looking cloth. Nailhead does not turn heads, but pindot can.

As I said, the picture lies. I can't explain it, but I am looking at the picture and wearing the cloth and the dots are smaller than they look in the photo.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks like a beautiful coat, dopey. Who made it?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
That looks like a beautiful coat, dopey. Who made it?
Thanks. Des Merrion made it. Though I think all you can judge from the picture is that it is a beautiful cloth, which is from Charles Clayton. As I noted when I first posted this picture some months back, the white threads you can see by the collar melton are not the stitching of the collar. They are the white wool threads from the pin dot (or nail head). If you look really carefully, you can see the gray thread stitching.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever it may be, that's a handsome coat, dopey.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am wearing this right now. I would call it a pin dot or a nailhead but not birdseye. Pin dot seems more precise and accurate to me, whatever the convention.

dsc00654tl8.jpg

Somehow, the white spots seem much smaller in real life than they appear in the photo (I would think it a different cloth if I didn't take the picture myself) - perhaps the flash magnifies them.

ok, dopes-- fill me in on what sorts of shirts and ties you wear with that great lookin suit!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
ok, dopes-- fill me in on what sorts of shirts and ties you wear with that great lookin suit!
This was today. The layout is to convey maximum information rather than any art study. The observant will note the old Dege label (pre-Dege & Skinner). This is one of my older shirts, hence the replacement collar and cuffs. On my monitor the shirt appears grayish. It is really shades of blue. And here is the square:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, dopey! that helps a bit-- certainly your own personal style, but gives me an idea or two.

Manton, I have to go with your assessment on the cloth-- agreed, seems to be a birdseye after all. Heck, it looks just like the cloth on this link to me:

http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=178352958?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is another example of why styleforum is awesome.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

sammy

Reaction score
Birdseye is one of my favorite patterns for suitings. You could wear almost anything with a B&W birdseye. The overall effect is that it looks grey and allows you to pair it with many colors; especially blues, blacks/charcoals, and burgundy.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Birdseye is one of my favorite patterns for suitings. You could wear almost anything with a B&W birdseye. The overall effect is that it looks grey and allows you to pair it with many colors; especially blues, blacks/charcoals, and burgundy.

Quite right. My favorite suit is a Greenfield Gold Fleece in a black and blue/gray birdseye. The only category of color I don't like with it is greens (in shirts, that is).

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Minnis has pindot in the Crown Classic bunch. I have a swatch of the navy that I was about to order when Chan announced no CMT. It's very nice.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy

it's a good looking cloth and yes, you can wear just about anything with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads