• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What goes into a $200 pair of jeans?

gordon gartrell

Reaction score
What causes a pair of jeans to rival to price of finely tailored dress slacks? Is it that society equates a high price to quality and status. A very slim pair of very unmanly jeans has become the order of the day. Whatever happened to the real jeans that actually last more than a year and are not uber-trendy. Maybe they just don't cost enough!!!!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Report here. Good denim is nothing like a pair of good dress trousers, and $200 skinny denim is just the tip of the iceberg.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, the buyer, determine the price. God save us all!

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wager about $10 for materials and labor, $5 for advertising, $85 in profit for the manufacturer, $90 profit/risk for the retailer, and $10 in other costs. ;-)

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ever there was a sign that people have too much money (or credit), that's it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
If ever there was a sign that people have too much money (or credit), that's it.

To be fair while you may think they bring less value they're a lot less expensive than bespoke suits that are in turn, at least individually, less of a charge than a new Civic. Let's keep people's indulgence in perspective. BTW I'd "value" well-designed, quality jeans at about the same price as slacks so YMMV.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gordon gartrell
What causes a pair of jeans to rival to price of finely tailored dress slacks? Is it that society equates a high price to quality and status. A very slim pair of very unmanly jeans has become the order of the day. Whatever happened to the real jeans that actually last more than a year and are not uber-trendy. Maybe they just don't cost enough!!!!

You could probably make a similar statement about any article of menswear. There will always be decadent pieces that seem ridiculous to the rest of us, but are de rigeur for the cognoscenti.

Also in defense of the expensive denim lovers, at least on this board (and I happen to be one of them) Much of the high-end denim we like, is extremely well constructed, durable and made from good material.

That being said, nice to see a fellow Columbia, MD denizen on the board.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the SW&D forum...

The general consensus is as follows:

For some brands like APC, Nudie, Sugar Cane, 5EP, RRL, you pay $200 for high quality denim that CAN last you for years that fit just right and get better with time, like a fine wine.

For other brands like True Religion, 7FAM, Rock & Republic, you pay well over $200 for the name and not much else.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
To be fair while you may think they bring less value they're a lot less expensive than bespoke suits that are in turn, at least individually, less of a charge than a new Civic. Let's keep people's indulgence in perspective. BTW I'd "value" well-designed, quality jeans at about the same price as slacks so YMMV.

Point taken, although my comment was more targeted at a Hanes t-shirt that gets "D&G" screened on it and suddenly becomes $300.

A quality pair of jeans that fir you well are worth their weight in gold; however, going back to the original post, it's tough to deny that there is a lot of fat in the price of a typical pair of "designer" jeans.

I wonder if anyone here in the trade can comment intelligently on the real price differences between standard Gap denim and "small batch" denim churned out by virgins working 100 year old looms.

sherwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I'd wager about $10 for materials and labor, $5 for advertising, $85 in profit for the manufacturer, $90 profit/risk for the retailer, and $10 in other costs. ;-)
id say $110 for the designers salary and expense account

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your legs.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020