• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What goes in which pockets in a suit?

zackhyde

Reaction score
When I leave for work, I'm typically carrying: wallet, key ring w/ one or two keys, cell phone.

Sometimes during the day, I end up with a few miscellaneous pens, business cards, etc.

What items go in which pockets?

I typically put my wallet and key in my right pants pocket and my phone in my left pants pocket. This is because I end up taking my jacket off mid-morning, and I need my wallet to go in and out of various doors (there's an electronic badge in my wallet that beeps me through). Also, I like having my phone with me.

But, it seems like the inside jacket pockets are a natural place for wallet and cell phone.

Most of my pants are pleated, just by happenstance.

Are suits designed for your wallet and phone to go in a particular pocket? In people's opinions, does putting things in the wrong pockets mess up the appearance of a suit?

I'm very curious about what pockets people put their various things in, and how you think it affects the appearance of a suit.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uhh.

wallet in breast pocket
cell phone and work ids in croc card holder in left front pants pocket
house keys and car keys in other front pants pocket

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wallet in the left pants pocket, handkerchief in the left pants pocket, cell phone clipped on back left waist (it's pretty low key there, especially under a jacket). In the jacket, 3x5 pad of note paper in left breast pocket with pen. Keys go in briefcase or are clipped to a belt loop. They're always in the briefcase by the office because it's easier for security. iPod for the commute goes in the right breast pocket, and also into the briefcase by security.

minervau

Reaction score
I wonder about this as well. I sometimes do: wallet in left breast pocket, cell phone in right breast, keys in front left (I don't like having much stuff in my pants because it bulks them up). But other times I'll go wallet in left back pants pocket, cell phone in right breast, keys in front left.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
Sure, why not:

Wallet - left breast pocket
Work Cell (blackberry) - right breast pocket
Biz cards (mine) - left pant pocket
Biz cards (others) - left breast pocket
Personal Cell (iPhone) - right pant pocket
Pen - Left breast pen pocket (if avail) or left breast pocket
Keys - briefcase

Calder

Reaction score
I never put anything in the pockets of my trousers.

Smartphone goes in an inside pocket when it isn't docked on my desk (almost all of my suits have an ideal phone pocket deliberately).

Keys & cards in my right jacket pocket. I never carry cash.

When I'm not at work my flask goes in an inside pocket.

If I need to carry anything else I use a leather briefcase.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money in left front pants pocket, keys in right front pants, credit card holder in right breast pocket, cell in left outer jacket pockrt, business cards in right.

E TF

Reaction score
I have a small phone pocket sewn into my right trouser pocket. It keeps the phone neatly up against your thigh rather than hanging down in the main pocket, bulking it out. Works really well. I also keep my keys and a handkerchief in the right trouser, some change in the left. Wallet goes in left breast pocket, a pen and anything else in my right breast pocket.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a small phone pocket sewn into my right trouser pocket. It keeps the phone neatly up against your thigh rather than hanging down in the main pocket, bulking it out. Works really well. I also keep my keys and a handkerchief in the right trouser, some change in the left. Wallet goes in left breast pocket, a pen and anything else in my right breast pocket.

How much does your tailor charge to add that? It's an interesting idea.

Last edited:

calcoast

Reaction score
Wallet and keys in right back pocket, cellphone in left back pocket.

Stugotes

Reaction score
I don't ever put anything in my suit jacket's or pant's pockets. It bulges and makes the fit look off. The sole exception may be a card holder or other slim cards in the breast pocket.

I put everything else in my briefcase.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

How much does your tailor charge to add that? It's an interesting idea.

Well so far I've only had it done to trousers that I'm having made form scratch, but it looks pretty simple so I don't think it would be too difficult or expensive to retro fit. It's just a small patch pocket about 2/3rds the size of an iPhone, such that you can retrieve it easily without having to dig around, sewn into the main pocket bag. Could probably even do it yourself pretty easily.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
No one here is a smoker? The lighter is in the left breast pocket.. don't care where everything else goes..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads