1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What gets out undershirt "pit stains," again?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Mar 6, 2005.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Distinguished Member

probably covered before, but any sure-fire methods of removing yellow stains caused by anti-persperant-aluminum oxide (i think that's the aluminum type in all anti-persperants)?

any chemists have ideas on what would safely react to remove stains, but not damage fine cotton of undershirts?

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

Caused by the aluminum in anti-perspirant. Can be removed with vinegar and maybe oxyclean or some equivalent.

I just stopped using anti-perspirant all together. Sweating is a cleansing process anyway. I started using that "crystal" thing. It doesn't work for shit though.

Just use standard deodorant.

Dan

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

Pretty sure that the popular consensus last time around was that only [​IMG] would work to get the stains out.

4. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I agree with the advice re: changing your deodorant. Had it happen with Right Guard A/P -- terrible. I donated some shirts due to the staining. Switched to Mennen Speed Stick, which I've used for over 10 years since, and have had no such problems whatsoever.

5. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I'm a chemist aaaaannnnnnd..........(cue drum roll here)........I throw my shirts away when the pit stains get unbearable. I've tried vinegar, stain stick, etc. and I've found nothing that works. I think it's an oxide of aluminum (to a non-chemist, that's basically a rock) that forms in the armpits of my shirts, so I've switched to deordorants without aluminum. They're not as effective, but they don't destroy my shirts. If anyone has found something that works, I'd be glad to give it a try. Chemistry is experimental, after all.

6. Crockett

Crockett Well-Known Member

Switch to a non-aluminum deodorant, like one of these: Alba Organics I got pit stains one time while using the tea tree product, and it came out immediately when I hand-washed the shirt using a very mild soap. There are also many other companies that don't use aluminum in their deodorant. Plus, the risk of Alzheimer's is also reduced (allegedly, according to a number of studies).

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Anti-persperants are on the list of a Shirtmaker's Favorite Things. Here's the list: Airlines ... and lost luggage Laundries ... we all know what they do. Anti-persperants Ain't Nothing ... except scissors - which will remove that stain Middle-Age divorce Getting back on the Dating Scene requires a whole new wardrobe [​IMG]

8. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Any deodorant without aluminum (I think most antiperspirants contain aluminum) shouldn't stain your shirts. Most deodorants seems to be alcohol-based and work by killing the bugs that thrive on the perspiration in your pits. They don't work as well for me, but my shirts are safe.

9. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Uh, if it is just undershirts, then replace them. I wear Nordstrom undershirts that I replace every six-nine months for this very problem. The cost is less than one decent dress shirt. If that's too much to pay, there are many, many less expensive cotton undershirts.

10. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Are there in fact any anti-perspirants that don't contain aluminum?

11. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

I have yet to find any. I just use a deoderant. As soon as I switched years ago, the stains on my shirts vanished and have never come back.

And, to echo what others have said, a scissors is the only way you are going to remove those stains, I tried everything else and nothing works.

12. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior Member

I soak them for 24 hours in the laundy tub using a strong solution of Napisan Oxyaction. It works well. Between prevention (soaking after wearing, washing ASAP, not using the drier) and Napisan the collars and cuffs wear out long before any staining appears on the shirt.

13. paul44

paul44 Member

Bleach deteriorates cotton over time, but if you're going to throw out the shirts, regardless of quality, it wouldn't hurt to at least try it -- nothing to lose.

A small amount, never what the container suggests.

For my moderate-quality undershirts, I put a tiny bit in the hot wash water every seven to ten washes to take out stains and musty odors completely.