What Gaziano & Girling models are you ordering at the trunk show?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Sep 29, 2006.

1. LARon

LARon Senior member

Nor these Kojis:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Scafora shoes are glue-free
    [​IMG]

3. LARon

LARon Senior member

Not the best advertisement -- they look pretty wooden

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I'm a big fan of the shoes, finished and unfinished, in this photo: [​IMG] Except the wholecut. Not yet, at least.

5. AAA

AAA Senior member

In the case of people flirting with bespoke, fit should not be an issue, consideriong GandGs' respective reputations.

True, but in the interest of full disclosure, my second pair of shoes from Tony fit much better than the first. FWIW I would suggest only ordering one pair to start.

6. LARon

LARon Senior member

True, but in the interest of full disclosure, my second pair of shoes from Tony fit much better than the first. FWIW I would suggest only ordering one pair to start.

Interesting; why do you think that is? and equally curious, why did you order a second pair if the first didn't work? were the first pair bespoke? (and, if so, weren't the second pair made from the same last????) Can't imagine that I'd spend thousands on a second pair after the first pair didn't work.

(reminds me of the saying that one definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing but expecting different results; not saying you're crazy, but am really curious about how this came about)

7. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think G&G and Scafora are completely different styles and appeal to different taste. I don`t see what`s the use of comparing them when it seems the only thing they have in common is that they`re both travelling to the U.S.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I think G&G and Scafora are completely different styles and appeal to different taste. I don`t see what`s the use of comparing them when it seems the only thing they have in common is that they`re both travelling to the U.S.

Entirely agree.

9. AAA

AAA Senior member

Interesting; why do you think that is? and equally curious, why did you order a second pair if the first didn't work? were the first pair bespoke? (and, if so, weren't the second pair made from the same last????) Can't imagine that I'd spend thousands on a second pair after the first pair didn't work.

(reminds me of the saying that one definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing but expecting different results; not saying you're crazy, but am really curious about how this came about)

I didnt say the first pair didnt work. They actually fit quite well. My next pair, however, fit even better. And the third are even slightly better than the second, etc.... Yes, they were bespoke, and yes they were on my same last. Tony does a nice job incorporating feedback from one pair to the next if you take the time to give it to him.

For me anyway, this pattern of susequent shoes/suits/shirts fitting better than the previous one holds true for all my bespoke clothing. YMMV.

10. LARon

LARon Senior member

I didnt say the first pair didnt work. They actually fit quite well. My next pair, however, fit even better. And the third are even slightly better than the second, etc.... Yes, they were bespoke, and yes they were on my same last. Tony does a nice job incorporating feedback from one pair to the next if you take the time to give it to him.

For me anyway, this pattern of susequent shoes/suits/shirts fitting better than the previous one holds true for all my bespoke clothing. YMMV.

Glad to hear that, and appreciate you following up.

11. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

The majority of RTW shoemakers glue on a piece of linen ( called a ' feather ' ) to the bottom of the insole ( which in turn is attached to the bottom of the upper). This ' feather ' is where the sole of the shoe is stiched onto the upper part of the shoe. In Scafora shoes there's nothing glued on. The ' feather ' in his shoes is carved directly from a thicker insole. Therefore there is a direct attachment of the sole to the upper, wth no risk of glue failure. (C)

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Personally, I think the French offer a more unqiue design although none travel.

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Personally, I think the French offer a more unqiue design although none travel.
    Whom do you have in mind?

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Whom do you have in mind?
    Corthay, Aubercy, Antony Delos, as well as Altan Bottier, Marc Guyot, and Dmitri Gomez all offer a subdued elegant take two on the English traditions. And of course, Berluti has to be mentioned, bar their middling RTW reputation but I suppose, it's a question of style over substance. The Italians also like to give their own twist but twist & pull are usually more their metier.

15. LARon

LARon Senior member

Anyone know how to get onto Koju Suzuki's client list?